Steering Stabilizer - K20

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So several months ago (when I get $ I buy parts).....I bought a new stabilizer. All I remember is the PN SSD15 was posted someplace as being decent. So I'm mounting parts now to get them out of my way and I come to the stabilizer. Box says made in mexico. Bolts inside say USA, shock itself says china. Its a regular UN meeting.

Anyways, my original stabilizer had the studs pressed in - there was no separate bolts, and had plenty long studs. This one has 2 bolt 'kits', neither matching the description or PN in the accompanying paperwork. To use them on the shock, neither one barely comes out the other end for threads, washer, nut, etc. I dont like it anyways.

You must be registered for see images attach

And no idea why the nylon strap as it has zero pressure in it. So what brands, etc have any of you fellas used and liked?

Thx

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Well the strap shouldn't really have pressure on it like a shock absorber would. Those are naturally trying to expand outward all the time as they're designed to soak up some of the bump and rebound back into place on their own afterwards. If your stabilizer was always trying to rebound back into place the steering would be fighting you in one direction all the time. The point of the stabilizer is to produce a little resistance in both directions so your steering doesn't get all wobbly on you over bumps and such, but it has no resting position it is trying to return to.

Some might disagree with this part, but as far as quality I can't imagine even a chinese stabilizer would be too bad, it is only a steering stabilizer afterall save yourself some money and hassle. I mean sure they definitely make better stuff, but it doesn't have that big of an impact on your driving experience, realistically you could go down the road pretty much fine without one. So even though it is very good to have, it's basically like anything is better than nothing, and I can't see how a more expensive one would be night and day difference. As far as the bolts, that does suck. But at this point, since you already have this one in your possession I feel like the easiest solution would be to just go to the hardware store and buy some longer bolts. Rather than returning this one, waiting for a refund, researching another one, spending more money on a "better" one, you could have this one on the truck later today and be done with it.

Last edited:

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
I agree with Reckless. They're not supposed to fight you in either direction. And I've never had a decent stabilizer that lasted more than a few years. Particularly not since I stopped DDing the truck. However, I find that parking with the wheels cranked all the way right helps a bit.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I agree with Reckless. They're not supposed to fight you in either direction. And I've never had a decent stabilizer that lasted more than a few years. Particularly not since I stopped DDing the truck. However, I find that parking with the wheels cranked all the way right helps a bit.
what do you think is the reason fro that? Is that so the stablizer is fully seated rather than left partially or fully extended?(assuming that im remembering which side the thing is mounted to)

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
That's correct. Hard right it's fully compressed and the rod isn't exposed. All the failures I've had have been seal leaks and I felt it was from corrosion on the rod cutting the seal. That's on a K. Not sure what the configuration is on a C, but the concept should be the same. YMMV.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
That's correct. Hard right it's fully compressed and the rod isn't exposed. All the failures I've had have been seal leaks and I felt it was from corrosion on the rod cutting the seal. That's on a K. Not sure what the configuration is on a C, but the concept should be the same. YMMV.
dont some of the fancy-dandy ones intended for show/mall crawlers have dust covers the that span that so you dont have so much debris hitting and sticking to it
im sure theres a solution, at least it would make sense to me

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have a Monroe brand stabilizer and I bought a boot to protect it off of Amazon. It had a rancho on it for probably 30 years, but I was replacing all the shocks anyway so I replaced it along with those. Since the shocks have been on there probably 30 years also. And they were bad. Even with probably only 60,000 miles(or better) on them.

Ellie Niner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
LE9 305
dont some of the fancy-dandy ones intended for show/mall crawlers have dust covers the that span that so you dont have so much debris hitting and sticking to it
Yes. Mall crawling can be very punishing on a big bad truck. Say you hit an order of stale nachos in the food court parking lot and jalapeño cheese your steering stabilizer... not good!

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L

I don't think it's dirt, because the seals have a wiper for that. I think it's corrosion from exposure to atmospheric moisture that cuts the seal. I know the rods are chrome plated to prevent that, but we all know that chromed surfaces can still rust. Look at bumpers. It's probably just micropitting, but it doesn't take much.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I was hoping that Bilstein had one (they do)....but not for our trucks. Well, there is a dual setup that says it will work but its in the $300 neighborhood. Forget it. A boot was preferable but only ones out there are bright white ones (racist - lol) with red boots - would look like white socks with my black tux.

Since they do very little, I can be demanding on aesthetics. :pimp:

This one I bought was peddled as a Moog but I am finding it is the same (as in stampings, markings, etc) as the KYB, Monroe, and a couple odd brands Rock carries. Going to look into finding bolts that work and see what that does. Every step of every way with this thing is a PITA.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yes. Mall crawling can be very punishing on a big bad truck. Say you hit an order of stale nachos in the food court parking lot and jalapeño cheese your steering stabilizer... not good!
That fajita seasoning corrodes everything too....

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I don't think it's dirt, because the seals have a wiper for that. I think it's corrosion from exposure to atmospheric moisture that cuts the seal. I know the rods are chrome plated to prevent that, but we all know that chromed surfaces can still rust. Look at bumpers. It's probably just micropitting, but it doesn't take much.
reminds me of those little legs on wheel cylinders that ride on a dust boot. the shaft of them gets pitted and then tears the dust seal. God damn.. things...
You must be registered for see images attach

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I was hoping that Bilstein had one (they do)....but not for our trucks. Well, there is a dual setup that says it will work but its in the $300 neighborhood. Forget it. A boot was preferable but only ones out there are bright white ones (racist - lol) with red boots - would look like white socks with my black tux.

Since they do very little, I can be demanding on aesthetics. :pimp:

This one I bought was peddled as a Moog but I am finding it is the same (as in stampings, markings, etc) as the KYB, Monroe, and a couple odd brands Rock carries. Going to look into finding bolts that work and see what that does. Every step of every way with this thing is a PITA.
ORD sells a Bilstein. Now I don't know if it was *actually* made for a GM vehicle, or ORD found a Ford/Dodge/International Harvester one that had the right specs...

But it is expensive.

https://www.offroaddesign.com/bilstein-steering-stabilizer.html

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
ORD sells a Bilstein. Now I don't know if it was *actually* made for a GM vehicle, or ORD found a Ford/Dodge/International Harvester one that had the right specs...

But it is expensive.

Nice find!

I was wondering along these lines to do like I did with my suspension (and ORD does it). Go to Bilstein's site, measure the distance for the stabilizer and find which ones match up. My only concern is the pressure - wondering if Bilstein themselves might be of any help.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

But it is expensive.

I'm finding this Moog/KYB/Monroe thing I have doesn't have great ratings....as in many leaking within a year. The Bilstein price isn't not-doable (beats $300+ for a not-needed dual setup), but I have no doubt you could pick it up for $50-60 (avg price of these shocks). That'd be even more doable.

UPDATE: so I emailed ORD and found the $105 is just the beginning.

"It does not work with the stock mounting on your K20, it would limit steering angle one direction because it’s too long. It can be used with the aftermarket tie rods that we make."

Not going there, so found another I may look at.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jingle1