Steering shaft...leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I recently developed a leak (another one) that I have been unable to track down the source of. If left parked, the driver's side frame rail near the transmission crossmember starts to bead up with what I believe to be power steering fluid. I have a hydroboost truck. It makes no sense to me why this would be leaking but it is the highest point that seems to be wet after wiping everything down with brake cleaner fairly well. Does anyone know what this part is called and/or whether there is a bearing/seal that could be failing and causing this issue?

It would make more sense to me that my hydroboost pump is dripping on this part of the shaft but the absence of fluid on the bottom of the pump suggests otherwise.

Appreciate any and all help.

Eric

You must be registered for see images attach

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That steering rod has no fluid in it to leak.

If your hydrobooster is in fact not leaking it could be leaking from where the powersteering lines enter the steering box. And when driving the fluid is being pushed by the wind up the steering shaft.

However, my bet would be a leaking hydroboost setup over the gravity defying fluid. But I have seen stranger things happen.

You could zip tie two clean rags onto that rod. One closer to the pump, and the other under the booster. Drive it and see which one has more fluid on it. Its not a fancy way but it should work to help ID the source of the leak.

Some UV reactive dye for the Powersteering fluid would also help.

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
It's your hydraboost leaking. Where the master bolts to the booster there is a small weep hole on the bottom. It drips right where you are talking about.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
It's your hydraboost leaking. Where the master bolts to the booster there is a small weep hole on the bottom. It drips right where you are talking about.

I just replaced mine a couple of months ago. It was leaking in that exact spot. FYI, no matter where you buy a rebuilt one it is an A-1 Cardone unit. They do all they rebuilding for the parts houses. The rod number is 71217. A couple thing to note. The Cardone units have the rod crimped to the booster now. My OEM set up had the rod separate from the booster. Also check the rod before leaving the parts store. I bought mine at Napa and the box was miss marked. The booster was the same, but the rod was an inch short. Second trip to the store to correct it.

I had an issue with the lower steering column bushing from the power steering fluid dripping on it. It softened the plastic enough to make it drop out. I have the parts and will change it when I replacement my steering box again due to a leaking seal (Thanks Napa. Only 3.5 years old). In the picture I already moved it back, but hadn't reinstalled the clip.

84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I'll try the rag trick and report back. Thanks.

84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
When you're right, you're right! Thanks!

84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Changed the seal and all was good until I bled the system with the engine running. I now have a large puddle under my driver's side frame rail again. It is definitely the coming from the weep hole on the hydroboost unit. I matched the old seal up to the new one prior to installing it and confirmed that it was the correct seal. Do these units require a special type of fluid? Perhaps the generic Prestone power steering fluid I'm using is eating the seal?

-Eric

84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Finally got around to changing out the hydroboost unit today with a remanufactured (NAPA) one

Drained as much as the old fluid out of the system beforehand.

I also replaced both power steering pressure hoses with new AC Delco ones.

Filled with AC Delco 10-5073 PS fluid.

Took the truck for a 20 mile ride. Steering and brakes worked great.

Just went to check it after the truck cooled down for a few hours. ITS LEAKING FROM THE WEEPHOLE!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshuOne