Steering drag link

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigred3plus3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
Anyone have a picture of what there stock draglink system looks like? Or there 6 inch lift system looks like. That's what mine has. I took off a lift that was I think 8 or 10 inch and put a 6 inch kit on. The 6 inch kit came with the same size steering arm block as what's on it now.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Think he was more referring to steering arms. Kingpin 60 and half/three-quarter ton 10 bolt is different arms. Drag link probably is the same thing.

Yes. My point was just to get parts that work with the smaller axle.

Not sure if you or PO installed the lift kit but I assume it came with the new steering arm.
They are typically matched with the lift amount. It does seem to raise the rear of the drag link higher than it should though. Usually a littler lower in the back. Almost if the raised steering arm is too much.
Another way some compensate for a lift is a drop drag link with the standard steering arm.

You must be registered for see images attach

Those things are a waste of money. The only thing they do is fix the angle on the joints when you are running a big lift. It does absolutely nothing to fix the geometry or how the truck drives because the pickup points are still in the same location.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Anyone have a picture of what there stock draglink system looks like? Or there 6 inch lift system looks like. That's what mine has. I took off a lift that was I think 8 or 10 inch and put a 6 inch kit on. The 6 inch kit came with the same size steering arm block as what's on it now.

With most decent 6-inch lifts, you just run a basic 4" raised steering arm. Looking at your pictures, you just need to remove the block and install stock length studs in the knuckle.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
1st question: Why do you have a dana 44 on a 1T? It should be a dana 60.

2nd question: Why are you running 1T spring plates on 1/2-3/4T springs? U-bolts should be right up against the springs with no gaps.

IMO, I would go to a cross-over steering system, you will have to loose the front sway bar though. Ditch the push/pull steering design that the truck has.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
How much of a lift do you have on your truck?

My lift turned out to be 5" in the front and 6" at the rear. The front has OffRoad Design custom spring packs- so the spring pack is much thicker than most aftermarket springs out there.

In my first picture I posted that was taken after I replaced my 2" lift with the 5" lift. It has a drop pitman arm on it with the stock steering arm. It was horrible to drive. I bought a raised steering arm after that and installed it and kept the drop pitman arm. The drag link level looked like yours (don't think I have a picture of this). It drove horrible also. I then removed the drop pitman arm and put on the stock pitman arm. Much better.

Last edited:

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
One thing I noticed is your drag link is in backwards. The side with the longer shaft should be over the steering arm on the axle. The bolts on the clamps may cause a bind/steering lock up issue.

On my K30, I did not want to run a block on the axle steering arm (D60) as I was only adding a 3" lift. I went with a dropped pitman arm from Skyjacker #CA50 (2.5" drop). My drag link has a small downward slope from the front to back. I don't experience any bump steer.

I had one of those S-type drag links on a 77 K5 I had with a 6" lift, It sucked because every time you had to make an adjustment, one side has to be unbolted and pooped off the steering arm.

Bigred3plus3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
1st question: Why do you have a dana 44 on a 1T? It should be a dana 60.

2nd question: Why are you running 1T spring plates on 1/2-3/4T springs? U-bolts should be right up against the springs with no gaps.

IMO, I would go to a cross-over steering system, you will have to loose the front sway bar though. Ditch the push/pull steering design that the truck has.
Like I said previous owner took all the 1 ton axles and put 3/4 ton axle back under it. As far as that goes I dont care cause it's not going to be a offroad truck or a heavy hauler. It's going to be rig that will haul all the family around when needed and get driven very little. As far as the springs go it has 1 ton springs. I bought the springs my self.

Bigred3plus3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
My lift turned out to be 5" in the front and 6" at the rear. The front has OffRoad Design custom spring packs- so the spring pack is much thicker than most aftermarket springs out there.

In my first picture I posted that was taken after I replaced my 2" lift with the 5" lift. It has a drop pitman arm on it with the stock steering arm. It was horrible to drive. I bought a raised steering arm after that and installed it and kept the drop pitman arm. The drag link level looked like yours (don't think I have a picture of this). It drove horrible also. I then removed the drop pitman arm and put on the stock pitman arm. Much better.
Ok so you now have the stock pitman arm and the raised steering arm. I will give that a try. I will have to order new studs but that no problem.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I would agree to remove the block since you have the raised steering arm already. If you can't turn full from lock to lock or notice bump steer, you may want to add the pitman arm I referred to as it's probably smaller than the block you have.

Bigred3plus3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
Yeah that's what I'm going to try. Just ordered a new set of studs. Should be here in a couple days.

Bigred3plus3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
Well with a bunch of effort I got the steering arm off and the lift block now I cant get the long studs out. Thought I had a stud remover but turns out i didn't so ordered one of those. Tried double nutting it but just stripped the treads. May try welding a nut to the stud and see if that works also.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Might try heating the knuckle around them too. They "should" have loctite on them.

Bigred3plus3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
Thought about that but I decided against it because I dont want to get the ball joint boots hot and risk them catching on fire. They are way to close.

84 M1008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
M1008 K30
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
My 84 K30 has a 6 inch lift with crossover steering. It is far better than the stock steering geometry with the short drag link type in my opinion.

Bigred3plus3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
Well I ended up welding nuts to the tops of the studs and getting them out. I'm not convinced it's going to be any better. This picture is it all done and back on its own weight. It's on a jack stand on the driver side by the way.
You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128