Steering Column Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjkirby55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'm planning to swap steering columns from my 85 C10 to my 88 R10. Do any of you smart mechanic times know of any reason why it wouldn't be a simple remove and replace job?

The R10 column has an issue with the lock cylinder spinning freely from the acc position to the start position. The steering wheel unlocks when the cylinder is turned and the radio stays on but there doesn't seem to be a hard connection between the cylinder and the ignition switch. Anyone have any experience rebuilding a steering column. I'm swapping so I can drive the Burb and rebuild the column on the bench before putting it either back in the Burb or in the truck. Thanks for any advice.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
84-87 truck and 84-91 burb/crew/blazer should all be a direct swap.

cjkirby55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks, I swapped a few from 70's squares and I remember them being pretty simple.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, what JKnight said. The 84 and up have the Multifunction switch turn signal lever and earlier does not with the bright light switch on the floor and wipers on the dash.

Not totally sure I understand the total problem as far as spinning freely but it about sounds like maybe the actual ignition switch itself has come loose down on the lower end of the column, and/or the rod that goes from the key cylinder to the ignition switch has fallen out of the switch. Could possibly be an easy fix without pulling the column apart at all. I'd check into that before I went through all the labor of a column swap.

cjkirby55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
HotRod that's exactly what it seems like. The lock cylinder turns with no resistance and only moves the steering wheel lock pin. It doesn't unlock the shifter or turn on any electrical power. Only the radio has power and can't be turned off using the key.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, so I bet the ignition switch is stuck in ACC and the rod has slipped out of the switch down on the column closer to the firewall. If that's the case, you can slide a small screwdriver in that switch where the rod goes in, and slide it down manually and be able to start the truck, shut it off and also move it from the ACC position too until you get it fixed right. You will still need to turn the key on to keep the steering wheel unlocked. I don't suggest doing unless needed in a pinch. If something goes wrong and you need to shut it off, you'll have to pull over, get out of the truck and under the dash to shut it off, and you sure don't want the steering wheel locking while driving.

cjkirby55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks for the insight. Fortunately it's not my dd so it can sit until fixed correctly. Probably going to get into it more next weekend. Thinking about that jeep steering shaft mod while I've got it apart.

cjkirby55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Well I got the column swapped over and success, except now the headlights don't work. Looking at a wiring diagram it looks like the only part in the headlight circuit on the column is the dimmer switch. Anyone else have this issue?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If it's just the headlights that don't work but the park lights still do, yes it could be a bad dimmer switch. But if no lights work at all, something else is up.

cjkirby55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
It was the dimmer. She's back on the road.

VAk15

Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC k15
Engine Size
I think im having the same problem with my ignition, how hard was it to fix?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I think im having the same problem with my ignition, how hard was it to fix?

Which problem? The rod slipped out of the switch or the ignition key tumbler needing replaced? I believe it's 89Suburban who has a tech write up on how to replace ignition key tumbler. I'm going to be having to do that myself real soon. I've already broke off 2 keys. The thumb ring has broke off the tumbler so all the pressure is on the key by itself now, and it's very hard to turn which is why the thumb helper ring broke off the cylinder.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Yep, what JKnight said. The 84 and up have the Multifunction switch turn signal lever and earlier does not with the bright light switch on the floor and wipers on the dash.

Not totally sure I understand the total problem as far as spinning freely but it about sounds like maybe the actual ignition switch itself has come loose down on the lower end of the column, and/or the rod that goes from the key cylinder to the ignition switch has fallen out of the switch. Could possibly be an easy fix without pulling the column apart at all. I'd check into that before I went through all the labor of a column swap.

Not to steer off topic but is there a thread on here that shows how to swap in an 84 and newer column into an 83 or earlier cab? That explains all the wiring issues and wiper motor issues if any?

I want to put a tilt 84 column into an 83 cab to put the wipers and bright's on the column and then put all the 83 stuff into the 84 that Im stealing the column from ?

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Not to steer off topic but is there a thread on here that shows how to swap in an 84 and newer column into an 83 or earlier cab? That explains all the wiring issues and wiper motor issues if any?

I want to put a tilt 84 column into an 83 cab to put the wipers and bright's on the column and then put all the 83 stuff into the 84 that Im stealing the column from ?

You and I have the same idea. I want a 84 column with all the bells and whistles except cruise in my 74. I've just been really lazy LOL.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
You and I have the same idea. I want a 84 column with all the bells and whistles except cruise in my 74. I've just been really lazy LOL.

Yep me too:)

The cruise doesn't matter just stab the non cruise lever in and good to go!

I want to put the all black levers out of the newer GMT400s into my column to make it look a little more modern and then Im gonna do that Carbon Graphite vinyl over all the dash and door inserts

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alysco