Steering arm removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Linville33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scotsdale
Engine Size
SBC 400
I have searched this forum and Google. I'm doing the ball joints on my 87 V10 got the passenger side done and noe I'm stuck on this dreaded steering arm. Any help? I have been trying everything pb blaster bfh and a chisel but I can't get it freed up. It looks like its never came off before. Any tips to get the cone washers out? Do I need to replace them?

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
they rent a separator fork at parts stores that should get it off. There is also a nicer tool that like a c clamp but in reverse to separate.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Bfh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Linville33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scotsdale
Engine Size
SBC 400
Just keep beating it? Don't want to break something. Really don't have cash to replace much more right now

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
You gotta beat on it in all the right places, at different angles. When I say BFH, I don't mean a 20lb sledge hammer, just a good size shop hammer. And if you can, apply heat to it. I beat on mine for a good 20-30 min, before that fugger came loose. It'll take quite a pounding before it'll break. But if you can get the right tool like Yevgenievich recommended, I'd go that route. I myself didn't have any luck with the fork deal. The washers have to be shocked by the vibration, they will eventually give in.

bigcountryguy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
Get a brass drift punch and smack the arm from the top, be carefully not to hit the studs, soaking and some heat will help also. We have same type of washers on the forklift wheels, this is how I usually get them loose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
Those cone washers are a bitch , I have never heard of a tool to get them out and trying to wedge anything between the arm and the axle will not work. Hitting downward and sideways on the arm is the way to go , (and it takes a while). If you can get them to pop up just a tiny bit you can take a chiesel and rotate them out counter clockwise. Just stay with it and hit that baby hard and it will come , good luck

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
Those cone washers are a bitch , I have never heard of a tool to get them out and trying to wedge anything between the arm and the axle will not work. Hitting downward and sideways on the arm is the way to go , (and it takes a while). If you can get them to pop up just a tiny bit you can take a chiesel and rotate them out counter clockwise. Just stay with it and hit that baby hard and it will come , good luck

couldnt of said it any better cone washers are such a bitch, thats exactly what I did

make sure to wd the crap out of it

Linville33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scotsdale
Engine Size
SBC 400
Alright thanks guys I'll give it a shot

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Do you need to take the arm off?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Right, the arm doesn't need to come off to do ball joints.

Linville33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scotsdale
Engine Size
SBC 400
It does now Haha in the process of beating the **** out of it my aim was a little off and I ****** up one of the studs. Any tips to pull the stud?

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Did you break the stud or just mess up the threads?

friscobob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C 10
Engine Size
By "steering arm" do you mean the Pitman arm on the steering box? Or is this arm on the spindle? OR do you mean the idler arm? All of these parts have their own names so we can talk about them and know what each of us is on about. The pitman arm needs a special puller or heated up with a torch. Tie rod ends are easily separated with a correct size pickle fork as is the idler arm.
Bob

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
By "steering arm" do you mean the Pitman arm on the steering box? Or is this arm on the spindle? OR do you mean the idler arm? All of these parts have their own names so we can talk about them and know what each of us is on about. The pitman arm needs a special puller or heated up with a torch. Tie rod ends are easily separated with a correct size pickle fork as is the idler arm.
Bob

This is a V10 so there is no idler arm. Also, there are no studs on the pitman arm (ref post #12).

His terminology is correct; steering arm (mounted on the knuckle).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76