Upper A-Arm Mounts: Replace Studs or Replace Bracket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KCKKen

Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
1985/1978
Truck Model
1500/C20
Engine Size
350/350
Hi Everyone!

Been a while since I last checked in, have been too busy with the full-time job to devote much time to the truck.

However, I was able to get some "wrench therapy" in today, and finished removing the front suspension. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to remove the front crossmember so I can clean everything and start the rebuild process. When I removed the left upper A-Arm I saw considerable corrosion on the shank of the rear mount, so now I need to decide how to go about replacing it. LMC shows both the entire bracket and the studs available on their own, so which one is a better choice? The thought is that if I'm replacing one I might as well replace all four, it'll be as stripped as it was when new in 85 when I start the rebuild process.

With everything removed, is it easy to just replace the studs? If I replace the bracket, can I go back with bolts where the factory rivets are now?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice! I'm really hoping to make a lot of progress as soon as the weather breaks here, with the frame as empty as possible I can get it outside and clean it, get it over to the media blaster folks and have it ready for paint, then the assembly process can get started.

Take Care,
Ken Snyder
Kansas City, Kansas

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If I have ever replaced those studs, it's been long enough that I don't remember doing it. Iirc, they are just kinda pressed in. If the nuts ever come loose and shims fall out, I know you risk knocking those studs out of their holes if you drive it like that.

The frame rivets are a stronger connection, but you certainly can bolt in a new bracket. Just use quality Grade 8 hardware, including the nuts and washers. Also use the pinch lock style nuts.

KCKKen

Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
1985/1978
Truck Model
1500/C20
Engine Size
350/350
Thanks for the response! After I posted that I found the replacement studs through LMC, so I will replace all four while the crossmember is out. This is one of those safety items I don't want to skimp on, and now is the best time to get this handled. Still trying to thoroughly clean out the inside of it in preparation for re-coating/rustproofing. Progress is being made!

Take Care,
KS

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey