Starter shim questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlie K

Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
New here guys be gentle. I've worked on cars and trucks for myself to a point but this project for me is out of my comfort zone and I need to learn a lot as I go but I'm motivated but not rich so it's gonna take some time.

Anyway the old owner said starter flywheel issue. Yup got that. Grinding noisey etc, with fails to turn over. I removed the starter (no shims were present) gear looks ok, flywheel look ok. Fixed the horrible electrical connections with a almost bare hot wire with melted insulation and made the electrical pretty again. Truck starts but is still loud and I know its not right. I've searched and found that I need 1/8" between the starter motor shaft and the flywheel. From the pics you can see it's way more than that. Is this shimmable or is there a bigger problem here?

My plan is to shim one side to close that gap but it's gonna be a healthy shim job. Is this the right way?
You must be registered for see images attach

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
The flexplate/flywheel teeth aren't looking so hot. Shimming one side is not the way to do it. None of my trucks have shims, have used a few different starters as well.

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Your not going to hurt it by trying a shim, and there are shims made just for these starters. Without having a better look at the teeth on the flywheel it's kind of hard to tell by the picture, but I tend to agree it looks like it my have damage. If the teeth on the flywheel and / or starter are damaged it'll never sound right. It would be great if you could post pictures of the flywheel gear teeth and the starter as well.

Charlie K

Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I did shim it and it now starts very quiet and instantly actually if fires very quick and I have to be mindful of how long to hold the key on it’s that fast. Thanks for the replies so quick everyone. On to my brake problems. Either air in the lines or booster failed not sure yet. Any tricks for cracking those bleeders open that are all nasty. Been spraying them with PB for two days already. Can I upload a short video from my phone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Heat will be your friend. Put a small butane or propane torch on the spot where the bleeders screw into.

Buickspec6231

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I did shim it and it now starts very quiet and instantly actually if fires very quick and I have to be mindful of how long to hold the key on it’s that fast. Thanks for the replies so quick everyone. On to my brake problems. Either air in the lines or booster failed not sure yet. Any tricks for cracking those bleeders open that are all nasty. Been spraying them with PB for two days already. Can I upload a short video from my phone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Heat and use a good quality 6 point socket or a box end wrench. Don't try to do it with the open end of a wrench. If they are rusty, sometimes using a metric socket on a SAE bleeder or vice versa will get you a better tighter fit. Wire-brush the threads off too. this will give the PB blaster a better chance of getting down where you actually need it.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Charlie K,

@Buickspec6231 is heading you in the right direction. Those little fittings can be hard to loosen. And yes, use a 6 point or even a 12 point box end, and long wrench if you have it, if not get a long handle wrench. You will need some leverage to get it loose. I wouldn't so much recommend heat. Maybe some people may had to use heat on a bleeder that they tried everything else and still couldn't get it to loosen. A good long handled box end wrench is good enough. Even a deep socket will get some loose. But that's just it, you only need to get it loose, maybe a quarter turn to a half a turn will be enough.

But one of the best tools you can have is a "Mighty Vac"! It's a little hand pumped vacuum pump so you can sit right there at the brake and bleed it yourself without any help from anyone "pumping the brakes". This is 2021, not 1971. There have been tools made for a long time to make these jobs easier and better. The "Mighty Vac" requires a little practice and familiarization with all the little rubber fittings that are in the box with the pump. READ the instructions! so you will understand what to look for if the rubber cups are not on tight, and how to fit the little rubber cup things onto the bleeders so they are on there right. Then you'll be able to bleed all four corners in about 30 to 45 minutes.

Last edited:

Charlie K

Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Thanks for all the input. Surprising all the bleeders came loose without incident and all brakes bled easily. I installed the new brake booster and brakes work as they should. Back to my wiring gremlins.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Pictures upload fine..just cuz u cant upload video direct doesnt mean you get out of posting pix.l or it didn't happen.

Hell i'm not even convinced you even got a square truck...wtf u mean no bleeder problems?

I'm calling bull.
Pix or it didnt happen junior.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade