starter question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
So I go to get in the truck and drive it for the first time to work today, and the starter went. The truck runs rich at idle (im working on this) and it died twice. On third time, it engages the starter and stops like voltage is low. I check the gauge with key on and I have 12+ volts. Hit it again and does the same thing. Third time trying to re-restart, I held the key to start and when it tried to re-engage the starter, I got some smoke by the brake booster and shut that crap off immediately.

1. what starter have you all had good luck with and what should I stay far away from?

2. any idea what would smoke by the brake booster? (it was definitely wiring.)

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Look for burnt wires in the area of the booster, might not be burned black but there could be signs of melted insulation.
What exactly is the starter doing ? engages and cranks over real slow ? If so, time for a new/reman. starter.
I have been using NAPA lifetime starters, so far, I have had to replace two new ones.

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
It engages, its slow, and then stops. Kinda of like if you only had 9 volts. You dont even get a full crank because the voltage isnt enough to keep the start engaged. I tried one more time after the smoke and as of now, everything still works, so maybe the smoke was very very short... fingers crossed.

How do you all feel about gear reduction on a stock engine?

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/tff-6584b/overview/make/chevrolet

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
I just remember being a poor high school and tech school student, and we always put on AZ remans and it just seems like anything back in the 90's very early 2000's, anything AZ reman to branded was going to fail with in the warranty period. I just dont want to be under the truck again for a starter again in 6-8 months or leave me stranded.

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I bought a powermax gear reduction from summit about 14 yrs ago. It was on a 10:1 compression sbc for 13.5 yrs. For the last 6 months it been on a 10:1 bbc and still starts like new. It will work on any sbc or bbc as long as it is below 11:1 compression.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85Shortsquare