Stalls when pressing gas too fast

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
The Walmart batteries are good if you use them every day. Sitting up with occasional starting really takes its toll on those. Especially if you don’t take care of them in the winter. The one in my Caprice is the one year battery, and it’s been doing well for three years now. I paid for one like 5/16 and replaced it once around Christmas of that year. I’d say that’s a killer deal even if I did have to replace it soon, but it’ll hang on for another 12-24 months, I surmise. That $45 went a long way. My mom had one of the top model Walmart batteries in her Suburban, and it lasted a hair over five years, IIRC.

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
If you can try to go through a battery dealer who rotates their stock often. NAPA batteries are ok since Exide redid their internal plate design to help with battery discharge. I like Interstate but actually switched back to Exide last November because I got a lower price and a 3 year free replacement. It's been a good battery so far. Interstate batteries are made by Johnson Controls.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk
I actually kinda like interstate's warranty more. With the MTP battery line, you get 30 month free replacement, and after that you get 45% off your next battery until you get to 5 years then it goes down to 25%. This seems to cover a bit more time and apparently most batteries last 4-5 years, so I kinda prefer this warranty. Napa has a pretty good warranty too though, you get a little bit of a discount on the next battery after 3 years, just not as much.

So is Exide basically the NAPA batteries? You mentioned you switched back to exide.

Chevyguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Clayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 Litre
I actually kinda like interstate's warranty more. With the MTP battery line, you get 30 month free replacement, and after that you get 45% off your next battery until you get to 5 years then it goes down to 25%. This seems to cover a bit more time and apparently most batteries last 4-5 years, so I kinda prefer this warranty. Napa has a pretty good warranty too though, you get a little bit of a discount on the next battery after 3 years, just not as much.

So is Exide basically the NAPA batteries? You mentioned you switched back to exide.
Yes NAPA batteries are manufactured by Exide. Always get the biggest battery you can get because hot, and cold weather, can really cause a strain on a battery.

Clayton

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yes NAPA batteries are manufactured by Exide. Always get the biggest battery you can get because hot, and cold weather, can really cause a strain on a battery.

Clayton

When i enter my truck on any auto parts website or the Interstate website it says I need a group size 75. All of them have side terminals. Why is that?

Chevyguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Clayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 Litre
When i enter my truck on any auto parts website or the Interstate website it says I need a group size 75. All of them have side terminals. Why is that?
Your cables should be for side terminal batteries. Get a battery that will fit your tray. Your tray should have a side mount clamp.

Clayton

daytongamez

Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Suburban
Engine Size
I Put gas at the corner store one day and my other car started doing the exact same thing. It turned out other cars in my neighborhood experienced the same thing. I ran it down and put gas from another gas station and the problem went away.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Optima are made by Johnson Controls, too

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Optima are made by Johnson Controls, too
Just thought I'd update everyone. I fixed the accelerator pump, installed my new interstate battery with a new battery tray, and fixed the fuel leak from the inlet fitting. I had to wait for a new inlet fitting gasket to be delivered and it took five minutes to put in. Now my only issue is the gas gauge not working so I need to figure that out, but now I can drive it! Thanks for everyone's help it really means a lot and I've been learning a lot from everyone on here. It is amazing how much I've learned since I started.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes