SSBC Drum To Disc Conversion Feeler Thread

What would GMSQUAREBODY Members like to see?

• SSBC Rear Drum To Disc Conversion Group Buy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nice discounts on anything and everything SSBC Related

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Keep the discounts simple and on a case by case basis

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • The heck with it, just mark them up to double and leave it at that....lol

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clkelley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500HD
Engine Size
6.6L
Ok, here is the deal guys and gals. I DO have access to SSBC read drum to disc brake conversion kits. Not only do I have access, I am a Manufacturer Wholesale Direct Account holder with them.

That being said, here is what I am looking for. I need input from the members on what you would like to see the most. Would you like to see a group buy on the rear drum to disc brake conversion kits or something more along the lines of a good forum member discount for anything from SSBC?

Vote in the Poll and let your opinions and suggestions be known in this thread. This will go a long way to helping the members here get the parts they need at the absolute best and dare I say unbeatable pricing as I have already spoken with my contact at SSBC about some major promotional stuff. But to make sure I set things up in such a way that best benefits the majority of the members here, I need your input.

Thank you for your input in advance and I look forward to hearing what you have to say.

Also, I posted the poll to last for ten days, but I will be making a decision to post a promotion ASAP so make your voices heard as soon as possible!

You must be registered for see images

Product Features

Sport R1 Rear drum to disc brake conversion kit with 11.5 in. rotor.
All hardware included.
Caliper includes built-in parking brake.
Rotors standard with Turbo slotting and Xtra Life plating.

Vehicle Applications

1974-1991 Chevrolet Blazer K10
1973-1987 Chevrolet K10 Pickup
1974-1991 Chevrolet Suburban K10
1973-1991 GMC Jimmy (Fullsize 4WD)
1974-1991 GMC Jimmy K10
1973-1987 GMC K10 Pickup
1974-1991 GMC Suburban K10

Caliper Specs

Name
Sport R1
Number of Pistons
Piston Size
54mm
Constructed From
Aluminum
Standard Finish
Clear Anodize
Optional Finishes
Powder Coat

Rotor Specs

Diameter
Thickness
1.000 in.
Venting
Uni-Directional
Standard Finish
Standard
Optional Finish
Slotted & Plated
Bolt Pattern
6x5.5 in.

Important Information

Minimum wheel size: 15

Last edited:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I will be interested in a kit that has a small drum inside the rotor for the park brake. Also it would have to be similar to the stock rotor as far as diameter and offset so I wouldn't have to redo my brackets. I've seen others like this and hear it's the best way to go. The ratcheting el dorado calipers arent the best option, and complicated rear output disk/caliper style park brake system is not something I would be interested in.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
I will be interested in a kit that has a small drum inside the rotor for the park brake. Also it would have to be similar to the stock rotor as far as diameter and offset so I wouldn't have to redo my brackets. I've seen others like this and hear it's the best way to go. The ratcheting el dorado calipers arent the best option, and complicated rear output disk/caliper style park brake system is not something I would be interested in.

x2. Definitely something with the internal drum parking brake. I can't go without an e-brake here, and as mentioned, the El Dorado calipers are finicky and not the greatest solution.

I would probably vote for the general SSBC discount. I don't think we are quite large enough for a group buy at this point in time.

clkelley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500HD
Engine Size
6.6L
Ok, I edited the original post to include some basic information about the drum to disc conversion kits from SSBC. They have a built in parking brake feature, single piston calipers and are designed to be direct bolt on replacement kits. They are also designed to provide stable and even braking in "cooperation" so to speak with the front brakes to avoid any kind of rear wheel hop or locking up during braking.

clkelley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500HD
Engine Size
6.6L
Also, please forgive me on one point, I am not all that experienced with the drum to disc conversions, so I want as much "Training" information as you guys can provide. However, I do know that the parking brake feature is built into the caliper and not on the inside of the drum section of the upgraded rotors. I am NOT real sure if the calipers they use are the ratcheting type you guys are talking about but I will find out when I can call them in the morning. They are on the East Coast and My rep has left for the day.

clkelley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500HD
Engine Size
6.6L
Please keep in mind that the product year make and model applications are for one particular kit, according to SSBC they can cover any application needed from 1974 and up

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
If the calipers are a simple lever/cam style like seen on older Subaru's that may be OK. The cable pulls a lever, which has a post that goes into the caliper, and has a progressive cam profile that presses on the back of the piston.

The El Dorado calipers are similar but as brake pad material is spent, instead of adjusting a cable it has a built-in "ratcheting" type mechanism, that never seems to work right. Either the ratcheting mechanism fails to work once sooted up by brake dust/mud, or the park brake just doesn't hold well, or when replacing pads you have to deal with the ratcheting mechanism to get your pads on.

The preferred style would have a small brake drum made on the inside "hub" area of the rotor, with basic lever-actuated shoes to engage the brake. I know it seems like you're still keeping drum brakes lol but the one thing drums have going for them is the great park brake.

The least preferred version to me would be a rotor mounted on the driveline near the transmission/transfer case, with a cable-operated caliper. If you bust a u-joint at the pinion you no longer have a park brake. It would also complicate dealing with driveline issues on the trail.

clkelley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500HD
Engine Size
6.6L
Thank you, now I have something tangible to ask about in the morning, very good info there Curt...

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Glad to help but there may be other types. At this point in my build cable operated park brake calipers (that are otherwise hydraulic) would be the cheapest solution for me, if the pin bolt pattern is the same as the front 1/2 and 3/4 ton truck calipers.

clkelley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500HD
Engine Size
6.6L
Glad to help but there may be other types. At this point in my build cable operated park brake calipers (that are otherwise hydraulic) would be the cheapest solution for me, if the pin bolt pattern is the same as the front 1/2 and 3/4 ton truck calipers.

I will see what I can come up with and get back with you to see if we can hook you up.:High 5:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I myself would vote for a general discount for everything from SSBC. I also don't think this forum is large enough yet for group buys, but I do think that most of us would benefit from a general discount since most of us have different vehicles that are covered by that company.

clkelley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500HD
Engine Size
6.6L
Ok guys. I will have something posted in the morning. Stay tuned...

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
It would be great if you could get 1/2 ton 2wd.

clkelley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500HD
Engine Size
6.6L
Semper Fi!

Let me know what you want, I am confident I can get you taken care of.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
1/2 ton 2wd have 5x5 and Caddy calipers with the e-brake, here in Texas you have to have an E-brake to pass inspection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1977chevyc30