Front Drum to Disc Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

farm truck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Hi - Does anyone have thoughts on this or a good source?

I am looking to covert from front drum brakes to front discs on my 1970 GMC C2500. Here are the specifics:

I want to keep the stock height. I have 8 lug 16" stock steel front wheels and want to keep it that way.

The studs are 1/2" x 20 and I'd like to keep it that way also, if possible.

Need a decent size booster & master cylinder as long as mods are not require. Need a proportioning valve. I am considering chrome for these items.

I want dust shields and SS braided lines.

I don't want a wildwood system.

Sorry for any grammerical errors. I just had back surgery and am loaded up on painkillers!

Thanks in advance - Chris

farm truck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Also, some of the kits say that they "kick" the wheels outward by some dimension - like to avoid that as well.

Dmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
On my 70 C20, I picked up a 1984 c10 parts truck and just swapped the entire front crossmember (a c20 would work the same). Any squarebody C10 or C20 would work. It's like 12 bolts, disconnect the steering, and drop.the entire front suspension out. Sometimes you have to open up one hole on the frame. Roll it under yours and bolt it in place.

Pretty simple way to get more modern suspension and replacement parts are available at all your local parts stores.

I also swapped in the engine, transmission, power brake system, power steering system, rear axle, seat. and misc parts. Bought the parts truck, kept what I wanted, and parted out the rest. Came out with all the parts I wanted and $100 ahead (doesn't Usually happen that way).

farm truck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Ordered a front disc conversion kit & booster / master / portioning valve kit from ABS Power Brake in Orange, CA. $1831.75. Went with the non drilled / slotted option with rubber lines and passed on the show chrome.

Merry x-mas / happy birthday to me!

farm truck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
On my 70 C20, I picked up a 1984 c10 parts truck and just swapped the entire front crossmember (a c20 would work the same). Any squarebody C10 or C20 would work. It's like 12 bolts, disconnect the steering, and drop.the entire front suspension out. Sometimes you have to open up one hole on the frame. Roll it under yours and bolt it in place.

Pretty simple way to get more modern suspension and replacement parts are available at all your local parts stores.

I also swapped in the engine, transmission, power brake system, power steering system, rear axle, seat. and misc parts. Bought the parts truck, kept what I wanted, and parted out the rest. Came out with all the parts I wanted and $100 ahead (doesn't Usually happen that way).
Man you cannibalized that MO FO - Good job!

Dmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It had been sitting at a farm for several years. Owner passed and family sold it to me. Got it running on starting fluid, so bought it for $500. Bypassed a locked up front brake, and drove it Roadkill style with no front sheetmetal, battery bungeed to the front frame, and running off a gas can in the bed with a fuel line taped over the cab. Just wanted to make sure it ran, shifted, steered, and stopped. Then tore it down.

Enjoy your project.

Attachments

• 20230323_102605.jpg
    20230323_102605.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 20

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Squarebody trucks have a lot of great upgrades that are just about bolt ins for the 67-72 trucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod