Spring Tuneup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Dump some gas down the TB and see if it fires.

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
You only need fuel, spark and air. It ran before the tune-up, correct? There must be something you are overlooking. Perhaps the order of the wires is correct, but they are all one terminal over from where they were before. Have you tried rotating the distributor to see if it will fire?

Also, have you tried simply giving it some go pedal while cranking?

P.S. Your engine "turns over", it just does not start or "fire".

Dist cap is on the same way I pulled it off and I put the wires on exactly as they were on the old cap. They were numbered wires, the new ones aren't, so I left the wires attached to the old one when I pulled it. Traced them all 3 times from cap to cylinder and they all check out. It ran fine before I did this all. Rotating the cap or actual distributor?

No, I will tomorrow and yes on the "turn over & fire", sorry, it's been a long week truck and other things. I'll try messing with it tomorrow if I have time, but my sister is stuck in Brussels right now, so that's really the priority at the moment. Thanks for the reply.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yeah, I was asking about rotating the actual dizzy, to maybe see if the timing was off now.

Definitely try giving it a little throttle when you crank it. My trusty old '88 Burb gets cranky every now and again, it refuses to start without just a bit of throttle.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
From that video, it cranked easily, which means the timing isn't dreadfully off. But if made absolutely zero effort to fire.

So, you have absolutely no fuel, or no spark.

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
Yeah, I was asking about rotating the actual dizzy, to maybe see if the timing was off now.

Definitely try giving it a little throttle when you crank it. My trusty old '88 Burb gets cranky every now and again, it refuses to start without just a bit of throttle.

I'll try giving it some gas first, but is there a trick to rotating the dist? I was screwing with it the other day, but couldn't get it to move more than a little each way. This is my first "old" vehicle. Used to the 3800 Series II transverse motors. Appreciate the help.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I'll try giving it some gas first, but is there a trick to rotating the dist? I was screwing with it the other day, but couldn't get it to move more than a little each way. This is my first "old" vehicle. Used to the 3800 Series II transverse motors. Appreciate the help.

There's a 1/2 inch bolt going vertically into the intake holding it down.

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
So I gave it a little gas while starting and it turned over and tried to fire the first time. but...the second time I got a loud pop and white smoke roll from under the hood. How screwed is it now? Really starting to hate this truck....

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Hold the pedal to the floor and crank it. It's called "clear flood"

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
So push the pedal all the way down then crank? What was the pop and smoke, just a backfire?

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Yeah, it may be flooded for some reason. I still lean towards something not right with the plug wires or the rotor isn't installed correctly or something you did when you changed those parts is not correct. you could check the timing while cranking to see if the mark is anywhere near where it should be.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yeah, try and start it normally now, but give it a little throttle too. If it does start, I have a feeling it will run poorly. I still think something may be out of place or the timing is off.

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
Ok, so I feel like an idiot, but the plugs were in the right order, but one plug off. So...I had some Mobile mechanics come because I needed another set of eyes on it and just to look it over with me. Turns out my pass. Valve cover was overtightened so much that it bent the cover and the gasket was visible on the block. The dummy brackets inside had even broken. Yikes! So those were replaced and good as new. Fired right up

Appreciate the help, fellas. Really happy it was something so stupid. I'd rather be a little embarrassed than shell out for a big issue lol

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Glad to hear it's resolved!

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
Ok so now I'm having another no start issue. Im actually away at school right now with it and the trucks been sitting in the yard since Monday. I had my neighbor who's a mechanic come look because I thought it was the starter. He says it's the fuel pump. He sprayed some starter fluid in and it started, then died.

Last summer I replaced the tanks, pump/sender (in tank http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6322254&cc=1300868&jsn=10) and fuel lines. I only have my pass. side tank on right now. Did I get a dud or am I missing something?

Edit to add: Whats the best way to access the pump without a lift? The truck is stuck in my backyard.

Secondly, Should I just buy a Delco pump (http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=90718&cc=1300868&jsn=454) to replace the Spectra one, but keep the Spectra sending unit? When I have more cash I may replace the pump on the uninstalled Spectra pump/sender with a better one just to be safe.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chad112507