Spring Tuneup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Not many people share my opinion about the proper use of RTV. I have NEVER waited for it to set up at all, just put down a bead and install the part. Unless it's a pressurized system (like coolant) I never wait to put in fluids either. Never had any troubles at all. Never had any leaks from not using a diff cover gasket either.

But, everyone has their own way.

I use the differential rtv mostly cause I like the grey ring it leaves around my pumpkin but same here goober up smash it on fill er up and keep on truckin

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I also just put RTV on and slap it together, has worked for me.

Make sure you can get the fill plug out BEFORE you pull the cover.

Brake fluid, easiest thing to do if you can't make friends is open a bleeder, furthest from the MC, and open the cap, let it dribble out awhile, make sure the level in the MC stays up, close that bleeder, then move to the next furthest from the MC, rinse, repeat until you have done all four. This is called "gravity bleeding" some good videos on Youtube.

I also recommend dropping the trans pan, changing the filter, swapping on a pan with a drain plug if funds allow, and topping that fluid off.

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
Ok since my tax refund came and has been deposited I am going to order this stuff and do it all when I'm home in 2 weeks-ish.

One more pre-order question. Should I replace the Oil Pressure Switch/Sender? If so, which is it for a 90 350 TBI?

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...tch+&+relay,oil+pressure+sender+/+switch,4588

Haven't done one of these before, so where is it located and how hard to swap?

ok, that was a few questions...this is my first tuneup on an older vehicle. Used to my Impalas. lol

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If the sender works and doesn't leak, it's fine.

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
Got it, thanks

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
Ok so I did the plugs and wires and cap and rotor yesterday, new battery today. It's trying hard to turn over but isnt. I checked all the wires and the firing order is correct, all snug. Is it possible one of the plugs might not be in quite enough? I thought they were all tight, but maybe I missed one.

I will post a video soon

Last edited:

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Double check the connections for the coil and ignition module. Check to see if you actually have spark....

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
All connections are good as far as I can tell. Cap and rotor are making contact, rotor is spinning, getting a nice spark on the plug. Really bewildering to me

Also to add, fuse block looks good and I can hear the fuel pump prepping.

Last edited:

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
I have no clue what to do now...I've been out there trying to figure it out, but nothing is working. Everything checks out as far as I can tell. I need to figure this out by Sunday at the latest or the truck won't be touched til almost June.

Anyone have any ideas??

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
If you are absolutely sure the wires are correct and it has spark the next thing to look at would be fuel. You need to check for injector pulses next either with a noid light or by watching to see if its spraying fuel. I would go back over my work one more time. If you give it a little drink of gas down the throttle body and it pops you know to look at the fuel system.

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
If you are absolutely sure the wires are correct and it has spark the next thing to look at would be fuel. You need to check for injector pulses next either with a noid light or by watching to see if its spraying fuel. I would go back over my work one more time. If you give it a little drink of gas down the throttle body and it pops you know to look at the fuel system.

I'm thinking it's spraying fuel into the TB because I can smell it in there strong after trying to start then pulling the air filter.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You only need fuel, spark and air. It ran before the tune-up, correct? There must be something you are overlooking. Perhaps the order of the wires is correct, but they are all one terminal over from where they were before. Have you tried rotating the distributor to see if it will fire?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Also, have you tried simply giving it some go pedal while cranking?

P.S. Your engine "turns over", it just does not start or "fire".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1