Sprags for TH350 low roller clutch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jur5664

Reaction score
First Name
Christophe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Formula 400
Engine Size
Hi,
I made the choice of using a case saver instead of anticlunk spring for my rebuilding.
With a case aver, a wider sprag must be used, typically the one from TH700.
I bought a borg wagner one and it fits well. However, it is not so obvious when looking at this sprag which side has to face to the rear. Stock sprag has holes that must be facing the rear for oil passages.
Borgwagner have these holes as well but they seem more or less hidden by inner rollers. On the other side of the borg wagner sprag they are wide notches that I could interpret as oil passage.
So anybody could confirm me which side of the borg wagner sprag has to face the rear of the transmission ?

Attachments

• sprags for TH350.zip
    42.4 KB · Views: 169

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Very interesting. Thanks for the heads up. I was never aware of that. I have never had to use case savers, but I have pulled a few tranmissions apart that did use them, and it seems common for those case savers to break the tabs off. They seemed to have stayed in place though even though a couple of the tabs broke off.

Jur5664

Reaction score
First Name
Christophe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Formula 400
Engine Size
"it seems common for those case savers to break the tabs off"

Sorry I'm french, could you be more precise ? not sure I understand, do you mean a case saver is NOT a good solution ?

and any idea on which side I should position the new sprag ?

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
"it seems common for those case savers to break the tabs off"

Sorry I'm french, could you be more precise ? not sure I understand, do you mean a case saver is NOT a good solution ?

and any idea on which side I should position the new sprag ?

The case savers still do their job. But what concerns me, is the damage the metal tab floating around in the transmisison. Its to big to get out and into the pan, so it seems to me it gets in the right position, it can start grinding, wedging parts and tearing things up. I've usually found the broke tabs in the sunshell at disassembly. 2 of the 3 I pulled apart with case savers had broke tabs. I did reuse them without the tabs and the trans to this date is still working great.
As far as the sprag, I can't remember now. Just match it up the same direction as the old one. If you don't, you won't have 2nd gear. Can't recall if its freewheel clockwise and holds counter clockwise or vice versa. If you get into a bind, I'm sure I can figure it out by looking at a drum I probably have buried in the spare hard parts pile.

Jur5664

Reaction score
First Name
Christophe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Formula 400
Engine Size
"Can't recall if its freewheel clockwise and holds counter clockwise or vice versa" yes it does freewheel clockwise and holds counter clockwise, and I cannot fit the new sprag with holes not facing the rear, so I will put it as the original with no notches, I wanted to be sure . I do not undersdand how tabs can break, but thank's for info,I will inqire on the web,
Cheers
I was never aware of that what you mean ? the use of a TH700 sprag in a TH 350 when using a case saver ?
Could it be THE explanation of the tabs you found broken, people,using the stock TH350 sprag with a case saver ?, instead of using a wider spag ?

Last edited:

Jur5664

Reaction score
First Name
Christophe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Formula 400
Engine Size
"I was never aware of that what do you mean ? the use of a TH700 sprag in a TH 350 when using a case saver ?
Could it be THE explanation of the tabs you found broken, people,using the stock TH350 sprag with a case saver ?, instead of using a wider spag ? "

ANY idea ?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
"Can't recall if its freewheel clockwise and holds counter clockwise or vice versa" yes it does freewheel clockwise and holds counter clockwise, and I cannot fit the new sprag with holes not facing the rear, so I will put it as the original with no notches, I wanted to be sure . I do not undersdand how tabs can break, but thank's for info,I will inqire on the web,
Cheers
I was never aware of that what you mean ? the use of a TH700 sprag in a TH 350 when using a case saver ?
Could it be THE explanation of the tabs you found broken, people,using the stock TH350 sprag with a case saver ?, instead of using a wider spag ?

I was not aware of using a differant sprag/roller clutch with use of case savers. I've only reused case savers that came with a transmission I built and have not used them on bulds that did NOT already have them in place.

Jur5664

Reaction score
First Name
Christophe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Formula 400
Engine Size
So did you noticed on the case saver you have removed that the sprag were the stock one or the wider from TH 700 ? in the case of using stock one, there is a clearance and the sprag can move from rear to front in the assembly by something like 0.1', thus might be explaining broken tabs ...

Don't know, just suggestion. Using correct wider sprag with case saver reinforced this part of the transmission some says.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You're right. they were the OEM style sprag. So I'll check into that if I ever have to use case savers.

Jur5664

Reaction score
First Name
Christophe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Formula 400
Engine Size
See attached file, when I order the sprag, my dealer sent me the stock sprag, see the clearance in the case saver, I had to order a new one from TH700

Attachments

• pb with sprag not wide enough.zip
    93.7 KB · Views: 158

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I get that. I understand what the part does and is. Just wasn't read to give up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes