Spot Blaster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Anyone here ever used a spot blaster gun? China-Freight sells one.....not sure I'd have that particular one but one miracle at a time. My cab is about to the point of paint - needs stripped in certain hard to reach places. I used an air scraper and got 95% of the undercoating off the firewall. The area around where the booster mounts as well as the ridge where the windshield sits needs something more thorough.

I have a guy who will blast the entire cab for $300. Not bad - but the cost of getting it there and back is another $200-300......just cant go there ATM. Eastwood has a portable dustless kit as well. Dunno.

Just those areas is what really needs cleaned / stripped. The rest has tired but solid paint that can be scuffed, sealed, etc.

Thx.

Last edited:

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
You mean this china blaster? My whole project was stripped using it. Or are you talking about the small hand held one?
You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I used a little spot blaster in the past, but I'm not sure how it compares to the one HF sells.

It was supposed to collect the media in the wide bristle tip and reuse it, which it did for the most part. But it was annoying for me to use because you couldn't see what was happening. You just had to keep stopping and checking your progress.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You mean this china blaster? My whole project was stripped using it. Or are you talking about the small hand held one?
Either one really. One I just saw looks like a Luger with a 20oz 'hopper' on top. Sounds like it would take forever but they seemed to have less issues with water/clogging. The one you have there I always hear they have clogging issues with. Dunno.

How big is your compressor? I have a 30gal 5hp 155psi I would -think- would suffice....but not betting the farm on it.

All I need to do is the firewall, windshield frame and a couple small areas of corrosion on the floor.

Thx

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
I have the small handheld one also and it is good for small jobs. They both clog! The small one takes patience because the amount of media in the hopper. But it is something that you will always have a need for in the future.

The trick for is to put a regulator/filter on your compressor and run it at about 70psi. Control the amount of media from the bottom valve. the valve at the spray nozzle I turn on first then open the bottom valve to regulate the flow of media. If you work it the other way around and the bottom valve if full open you will have clogs lot of them.

My compressor is only a single stage and can't keep up even at 70 psi regulated. I would just blast away until the blaster pressure indicator went below 70psi and let the compressor catchup again patience.

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l

This is the one I was talking about!

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
I used the hand held, only it has a pick up tube you put in a bucket of sand. Worked really well for everything you described.
Eric

Midnightmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have that exact one from Harbor Freight. Works OK for what it is. Just make sure that your media is dry and you have a dryer in your air supply and it will work fine.

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
Tractor supply, Black diamond fine for media, the course won't work in either of those units. Just be prepared that stuff gets everywhere and make sure you get all of it out of every nook and cranny.

ChrisGMoney

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have the one from harbor freight that has the tank. two big things. 1 make sure its as dry as it can be and make sure you have a water separator on your line. 2. buy a small window screen and screen the sand. I found a bunch of pieces that will not go through the gun. Until I screened it it would stop up every 10-12 seconds. I at one point threw it in the scrap pile. I dug it back out a few days later and screened the sand. I stops up every 6-8 min now so I can live with that. And I bought fine sand. It was 99% fine sand and 1% pebbles. I suspect this is done to stop you for using as blasting sand. Screen out the pebbles and it works great.

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
I have the one from harbor freight that has the tank. two big things. 1 make sure its as dry as it can be and make sure you have a water separator on your line. 2. buy a small window screen and screen the sand. I found a bunch of pieces that will not go through the gun. Until I screened it it would stop up every 10-12 seconds. I at one point threw it in the scrap pile. I dug it back out a few days later and screened the sand. I stops up every 6-8 min now so I can live with that. And I bought fine sand. It was 99% fine sand and 1% pebbles. I suspect this is done to stop you for using as blasting sand. Screen out the pebbles and it works great.
If you have a tractor supply try the media I suggested, I have zero problems with it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBSS GUY