1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sport to paddle mirrors conversion

Discussion in 'Glass & Mirrors' started by NJakey, Apr 3, 2019.

1. NJakey

NJakey Junior Member

First Name:
    Nick
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Custom Deluxe
    Engine Size:
    Hello everyone, I’m new to the site and just picked up an 83’ 4x4 which has the sport mirrors on it, that you typically see on c10s. I want to swap to the paddle mirrors mostly because it’s hard to see out of those small sport mirrors. I’m sure others have done this. My guessing is, I’ll have to weld up the old mirror holes and drill some new ones for the paddles? Anyone have any suggestions or pointers?

2. Old77

Old77 Super Moderator Staff Member

First Name:
    Jacob
    Truck Year:
    1977/1991
    Truck Model:
    C10 longbed/R3500 Dually
    Engine Size:
    350/454
    Those mirrors are commonly referred to as dumbo mirrors. Yes, the conversion is pretty simple. Just gotta drill holes in the proper spots and you're golden. Use the mirror gasket as your template of where to drill the holes at based on the position if the mirror. It's a pretty easy process.

3. Charlie7985

Charlie7985 Junior Member

First Name:
    Charlie
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C10
    Engine Size:
    I have a 79 C10 that had sport mirrors on the doors and I'm putting new doors with the D45 below eyeline mirrors. Does anyone know where I can find a template or specs on the exact mounting locations?

4. Craig 85

Craig 85 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Craig
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K30 SRW
    Engine Size:
    454/TH-400/NP205
    I installed them on a K5 I had in the early 90's. GM used to give you a template in the box. I didn't fill my old holes as the base of the D45 mirrors covered them. I may have put some silicone in the hole to seal them. Make sure you buy the support bar the attaches to the inner door structure. LMC carries them #38-5882/38-5883. LMC is the only one I know that carries the convex passenger mirror. You also need 2 barrel nuts per mirror.
    http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/full.aspx?Page=135

@Charlie7985 I don't have a template, but you can roughly see how it's located on my K30. The post of the mirror is about midway between the wing window handle shaft and the verticle upright. The bottom of the mirror base is on the flat portion of the sheet metal above the curved transition above the body line.

IMG_1972.JPG

animal likes this.