Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oplinger

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
-Hey everyone, just wanted to drop in and show my "new" 87 shortbed. Hoping that I can solve some of the little issues I have on my own, but am already having some of the larger issues fixed by more knowledgeable and capable hands. 350 motor (plans for an LS2 or LS3 down the line), 350 trans (having a 4l60e built and installed currently), no gauges work (having a full Dakota digital installed along with the trans), not a huge fan of the 22" wheels on it (will likely get a set of different 20" at largest next year when I get the suspension looked at), no AC (they pulled the compressor cuz it was squealing), also no heat (turn the fans on and nothing blows?).

-One thing I have searched for on here and was not able to find is an install guide for the dumbo mirrors, these little sport mirrors are completely useless in my opinion, so any help with hole drilling patterns or install videos would be greatly appreciated. I already bought a set from LMC with the support brackets and mounting hardware.

-But mostly just wanted to drop a line and say I'm super excited to join the square body nation. Also contemplating being a complete idiot and "cloning" my 1le 5th gen that I also have.

-Please let me know if y'all have any tips or tricks or suggestions at all. Thanks!!

You must be registered for see images attach

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Welcome from Oregon!

As far as the dumbo mirror install goes, we researched photos from the internets.
Found some good side photos and I set my son on installing them from those.
He found the approximate placement on our doors as what we saw on the photos.
Measured a thousand times to make sure they were both in the same location on the doors and drilled the holes.

He was 17 when he swapped out the mirrors.

Last edited:

oplinger

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
HAHAHA, if I cant find a template or video of an install that is literally what is running through my head. I will have taken so many measurements and probably overcomplicated the install to death. Guess as long as I place them so the wings can still open, and I cover the existing holes from the sport mirrors I should be good. :oops:

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Following this. I HATE my sport mirrors and am contemplating installing the Dumbo mirrors.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

oplinger

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
Following this. I HATE my sport mirrors and am contemplating installing the Dumbo mirrors.
Oh I know I am installing them, just trying to figure out if "I" can actually install them without messing up the truck, or if I should have someone a bit smarter than I install them for me. Not a fan of the idea of my mirrors falling off the truck as I drive down the road, or having them mess up the sheet metal if I don't install/support them properly.

Corvette Ed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eli
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome aboard from a fellow Tennessean.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Oh I know I am installing them, just trying to figure out if "I" can actually install them without messing up the truck, or if I should have someone a bit smarter than I install them for me. Not a fan of the idea of my mirrors falling off the truck as I drive down the road, or having them mess up the sheet metal if I don't install/support them properly.
Jump in, you will be fine.
Ours have been on there for a few years now and they look factory.
Still solid feeling as well.

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size