Spider gear pin stuck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The88

Mhmm
Reaction score
First Name
ThatGuy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Well yesterday was eventful. Popped the pumpkin open to changle the axle seals due to a drivers side leak. Upon breaking the seal the gear oil looked like a metallic paint. I then started to pull out smallpieces of metal. The guy I bought it from had the rear end rebuilt before I bought it bc he blew it out. The shop he used obviously sucked. I know the shop bc i have fixed their screw ups before on other peoples vehicles... but back to the story. I pulled the retaining bolt and the pin didn't move. So I tapped it and then tapped it harder. Soon I found myself beating the **** out of it and it only moves about 1/2 an inch to either side of the carrier trying to get it out. Upon examination of the pin it is fried and stuck. I will post the pics when i use my pc due to pic size but does anyone have ideas on how to cut it out without a smoke wrench? I will try to rig up a slide hammer on it today to see if that can budge it. But in the end I think a $80 job turned into a $700 job.

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Can you drill.it out?

The88

Mhmm
Reaction score
First Name
ThatGuy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Would take a hell of a cobalt bit to get it out I think.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
This actually happened to me back in high school on my '79. had to sawzall it out. Get some good sharp demo and rescue blades, and get comfortable. You'll be under it a while, that pin doesn't cut easy. Mine had to come out in 3 pieces. A rear wheel bearing going out caused mine, after I got the pin and bearing out, I made sure to clean everything out as good as I could. Never pulled the diff or pinion, just made sure all the loose metallic **** was out. Drove it for years after I reassembled it. never gave me another problem.

The88

Mhmm
Reaction score
First Name
ThatGuy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Rah joe... could also be a good time for a locker and a set of 4.56 front and back

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The little pin is supposed to be a part of the bolt that you removed. Or do you mean the center pin itself won't come out?

SkinnyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
G
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
350/TH350
Did the bolt come out with the pin still attached? Or did the pin break off and it's still in there??

You must be registered for see images attach

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
A sharp cold chisel and 2# hammer will bust the spider gears the x-shaft is probably galled on. Then hopefully it will be easier to drift through the carrier. If you can at least get it most the way out so you can get the c-clips out you should be able to pop the carrier out and get it on a bench so you can work with it.

The88

Mhmm
Reaction score
First Name
ThatGuy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
The retainer bolt is all the way out. The centerpin is very chewed up and piecesbof metal stuck to it.

Attachments

• CAM01622.jpg
    CAM01622.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 981

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I think if it was mine I would try to drive it through from the end without the retainer pin to a point where you can still rotate it back and get a bolt through the retainer hole. Then Use a big slide hammer to pull it back far enough to get the C-clips off. It may come all the way out but if it wont you should be able to remove the carrier and get it to a press.

The88

Mhmm
Reaction score
First Name
ThatGuy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I am actually getting a slide hammer tomorrow to do just that. Just need that bastard out so i can rebuild the entire axle now with a locker and gears. I thank everyone for their input thus far. Will snap pics of the progress as I make it. Weather is junk all this week. Merry christmas from south louisiana

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmballow02