Speedometer inaccurate and bounces

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fjordlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale K10
Engine Size
V8
Hi all, I searched the existing threads and couldn't find the answers I need so hear I am.
I have a 76 Scottsdale 4x4 and the speedometer was not functional when I bought it. I replaced the speedometer cable but the speedometer still bounces around and is totally inaccurate no matter how fast I'm going.
The odometer seems to be accurate so I think that rules out some of the gears but I'm put of my depth here and would appreciate any suggestions!

TJ1978

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
If stock, did you lube the cable? Pull out the metal part and use some atf on it.. sometimes whether old or dry they can stick. If it's digital like dakota then I don't know.

If not the cable you'll have to check the gears and input into your Tcase.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Get some Kable-Eez from the local auto parts store and lube the cable.

87chevy_com

Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
L83
Hi all, I searched the existing threads and couldn't find the answers I need so hear I am.
I have a 76 Scottsdale 4x4 and the speedometer was not functional when I bought it. I replaced the speedometer cable but the speedometer still bounces around and is totally inaccurate no matter how fast I'm going.
The odometer seems to be accurate so I think that rules out some of the gears but I'm put of my depth here and would appreciate any suggestions!
inaccurate how? to fast or to slow?
details will help.
sounds like its working exactly as deigned but the gear ratio has been changed and the gears for the speedo need to be changed.

sine it spins the speedo gauge, the odometer counts. The speedo is "off" that could of a gear change? ... research what gears you have, research what gear you need to have installed in the transmission or transfer case and then see if what you have installed is what you should have based on your research.

Fjordlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale K10
Engine Size
V8
inaccurate how? to fast or to slow?
details will help.
sounds like its working exactly as deigned but the gear ratio has been changed and the gears for the speedo need to be changed.

sine it spins the speedo gauge, the odometer counts. The speedo is "off" that could of a gear change? ... research what gears you have, research what gear you need to have installed in the transmission or transfer case and then see if what you have installed is what you should have based on your research.
It's too fast. I'll be going about 15 mph and the speedometer will say 90. It also bounces around and it's not consistently inaccurate. I'll look into the gears!

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
THIS

You must be registered for see images attach

87chevy_com

Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
L83
unless new cables come non greased, original poster stated he replaced his cable...

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm curious what you find, my CUCV speedo is acting up too. It started bouncing around from one extreme to the other, so I pulled the cable and lubed it. Now it still bounces a little, but is not accurate, and is not consistent on how far off it is. When it says 45, I am doing closer to 35, if it says 75 I'm probably closer to 55.

Is there a way to verify th the speedo drive is the correct one forvthe gearing?

Rustisbest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The small seal in the housing is most likely worn. The spot on the gear where the seal rides can get worn also. Mine did the same until I replaced it. Mine is 2wd but I'm sure the 4wd is similar.

WebMonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
i'd check the coil spring/clock spring
it acts as a dampener.
most likely it is detached or deformed.

good luck

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
One thing about speedo cables, is that they are woven metal. Overtime they actually get a little longer, heck even sometimes new cables are too long. The trick is to remove a little bot of the cable to shorten it back up. Doing an 1/8 of an inch at a time and reinstalling and retesting. See when it's stretched it puts pressure on the back of the speedo head and causes the bounce. At least that's the most common thing we see at the shop.

AllSquaredUp

Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
I had the same problems with my 84. I replaced the speedo with a new one and it corrected my speed and the odometer. Hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adriank