Speedometer Gear Moving on Shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlie7985

Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have a TH350 transmission that was recently rebuilt. Since then the plastic gear that goes around the shaft in the tail housing that is held on by a metal clip and engages the speedometer gear has slid down the shaft twice and caused the speedometer to stop working. Has anybody run into this before? The gear fits tight on the shaft and I replaced the clip this last time.

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
I have a transfer case, never worked on a 2wd tranny but if I had to guess I would say either your clip is worn out or installed incorrectly, or the drive and driven gear are mismatched and it's pushing it off the shaft.

You must be registered for see images attach

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
The driven gear hub that bolts to the outside of the trans sets the distance between the drive gear on the shaft and driven gear. Since driven gears vary in diameter with the teeth count, there are several different hub off sets.

Could be that the driven gear hub is not the right match for the tooth count on the gear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuchito