Speedometer cable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

f6john

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a squeaking speedometer cable that I have tried to quieten down with a lube I got at the auto parts store. It got rid of the squeak but then the needle would bounce up and down until you got to about 55 mph and it would smooth out. After about a month the squeak is back! Now my question, the LMC catalog shows an upper and lower cable for a 1985 automatic truck, I can only see one cable from the speedometer to the transmission on my truck. Any of you ever replace the cable(s) on your truck? Where did you get it and how many did you have?

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
what kind of lube did you use on it?

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I only have one cable on the 77 and it's the original. I'm sure you could something like this at any auto parts store and may be cheaper than LMC because you won't have to pay shipping for it/them.

f6john

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what kind of lube did you use on it?

It was a graphite impregnated oil in a tube that was labeled for that purpose. I pulled the instrument cluster, removed the cable from the back of the cluster and fed the lube right into the end of the cable.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
It was a graphite impregnated oil in a tube that was labeled for that purpose. I pulled the instrument cluster, removed the cable from the back of the cluster and fed the lube right into the end of the cable.
Even though you lubed the cable, there still can be material inside the tube from being worn and lube won't help. The lining is probably shot inside. Replacements are very cheap. Like these guys said, get it at your local parts store and try and match it before you pull out of the parking lot. The 2 piece cables are for cruise control on some vehicles. I just went through this last winter. Mine started that **** and I lubed the cable and it didn't help that much. So I slapped a new one on and it's been fine since. I got mine at Parts Plus for like 15 bucks.

f6john

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even though you lubed the cable, there still can be material inside the tube from being worn and lube won't help. The lining is probably shot inside. Replacements are very cheap. Like these guys said, get it at your local parts store and try and match it before you pull out of the parking lot. The 2 piece cables are for cruise control on some vehicles. I just went through this last winter. Mine started that **** and I lubed the cable and it didn't help that much. So I slapped a new one on and it's been fine since. I got mine at Parts Plus for like 15 bucks.

I guess I need to check a couple more places. I went to one of the chain outfits, don't remember which one, and they didn't keep anything but a universal make your own crap.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I guess I need to check a couple more places. I went to one of the chain outfits, don't remember which one, and they didn't keep anything but a universal make your own crap.
Yah, I would stay away from that universal **** and try to find a direct replacement.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Check the whole length of the outer sheathing, you may have a kink somewhere along the line. I use spray white lithium, it doesnt evaporate.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
what i use for grease for chassis, bushing, speedo cable is type 00 grease semi liquid white in color and is as thick as maple syrup. you can get it at a lawnmower shop works good for noisy speedo cables and where the cable screws into the housing spray some light oil in there also.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I thought I was having a bad run of speedo cables but it turned out to be the speedometer itself froze up.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I'll go with a 1990-91 electric one.......Some of my mods will depend on it.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Duder, did ya ever get this thing fixed???

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Autozone has them for $17.00. you have a cable lock under you steering column in the engine bay, and you have a little clamp under the truck. You will have to pull the whole speedo cable, there is the firewall grommet that will have to go on you new cable, and a metal routing tube, by your transmission hook up, that will have to go on the new cable, it just keeps the cable from being kinked. It is no big deal, takes about an hour.:)

f6john

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Duder, did ya ever get this thing fixed???

Nope, been spending too much time scratching that itch I talked about in another post. Drove the truck today for the first time since back before Christmas. I will get'r done though.

f6john

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Autozone has them for $17.00. you have a cable lock under you steering column in the engine bay, and you have a little clamp under the truck. You will have to pull the whole speedo cable, there is the firewall grommet that will have to go on you new cable, and a metal routing tube, by your transmission hook up, that will have to go on the new cable, it just keeps the cable from being kinked. It is no big deal, takes about an hour.:)

I just called the local auto zone and they said they have it, think I will run down and get one, thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1998_K1500_Sub