Spark plug change with long tube headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
What a PITA it is to change 5, 7, 6, & 8 with long tube headers! I got all driver side changed, but only 2 and 4 on passenger side. I found #6 plug wire wasn't attached to plug. Looked inside and it is all white with a white spot at base of boot on the outside. Engine been running fine like this. #6 and #8 didn't get changed today. I couldn't get at a good angle to get to them.

Plug #1 electrode was all white with build up on electrode and engine oil on the threads. #2, 3, 4, 5 and 7 were brown and dry. Don't know about #6 and 8 yet.

Anywho, can anyone suggest an easier way to get at #6 and #8? Thanks!

EDIT: After doing some reading, it appears cylinder #1 is burning a bit of oil, hence the white build-up on the end of spark plug.

Last edited:

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
I don't have long tubes but my drivers side was a PITA on 5 & 7 especially.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
They are easy-peasy when you are accustomed to headers, it's all in the tool selection. With stock heads, an offset box-end wrench is usually your best friend.

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
They are easy-peasy when you are accustomed to headers, it's all in the tool selection. With stock heads, an offset box-end wrench is usually your best friend.

Good tip...will keep that in mind. I need to buy a house so I can have more than a tool box of tools. lol

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
It depends on the headers and how they are bent. The only tough plug for me is #8. It helps that i don't have any inner fenderwells.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
It depends on the headers and how they are bent. The only tough plug for me is #8. It helps that i don't have any inner fenderwells.

My truck still does. Hopefully the offset box-end wrench will do the trick.

I hadn't touched the plugs on my truck since the header install about 2 years ago. No misfires over that course. Just took a notion to change them. Still happy to see only 1 plug not looking quite right. I'm hoping the oil burning is related to a bad intake manifold gasket. That's one of the items on my to-do list for this summer.

79 chevyman

Reaction score
First Name
Dominick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 v8
I have long tube headers myself i just use a 5/8 wrench on the ones i cant get with the socket.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
There are also some simple yet fancy spark plug sockets too, but the wrench usually does it in most cases.

When I mention the box-end wrench previously, I should have clarified. There's a couple different offset styles, the one that works best for plugs is the style that has a minor offset on just the 12pt portion itself. Sort of like a super shallow well socket welded to the wrench.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jp wessels