Sound Deadening in Cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mattchu60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hello all. In the future I would like to try to quiet my cab down.

Has anyone used sound deadening products here? Any tips or ideas? I've been looking at FatMat mostly. I want to make the cab as quiet as possible.

There are a lot of different products out there it seems and it sounds like different types need to be put in different places. Anyone done this?

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I use dynamat exclusively. I lined the doors in my 85 and there was an immediate noticeable difference without even lining the cab floor yet. Application is easy, just pull all our interior out and wash everything good with soap and water, peel and stick.

Mattchu60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
When you dd the doors, how does that work - do you dyanmat right on the door skin or on the inside where the panel bolts on?

I think it would be hard on the skin, since there is not a lot of room to get in there and work, plus the window assembly could be in the way.

Rockstargraphics

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Wrangler
Engine Size
5.7L
I am doing that right now. I recommend that you strip the interior and Rocker gaurd everywhere your going to lay the mat. Because Rocker gaurd is a sound deadener and the mat also helps. Doing a double layer. I know this works because when I use to compete I gained DB.

Positrack

Reaction score
First Name
Clark
Truck Year
'76 and '78
Truck Model
K25 and K30
Engine Size
400 in both
I'm using Raamat and LizardSkin on mine. I haven't got it back together yet so I can't tell you how well they work, but I did a lot of searching and both have great reviews. The LizardSkin is expensive, but the hotrod folks seem to swear by it, and you can apply it in places you can't easily apply mat (such as sharp contours and inside doors). Plus, it is a two part system, one for sound and the other is a heat insulator. Some say you can even make your own for cheap, but I chose to play it safe and get the real thing.

From what I found, the Raamat has good reviews and is a heck of a lot cheaper than many other options. I will say, Raamat has great customer service and it seems like a quality product. It is a thick, very sticky, foil backed, butyl rubber deadener. Like I said, I can't really vouch for either yet, but it's another couple options to check out if you haven't already decided.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If you want, not sure how quiet you want it, and if you're concerned about what your firewall looks like BUT, you can use Lizard skin, Dyna or Fat or whatever product you want, then you can see about finding the sound deadening panels off of a 6.2 Diesel model from the firewall. The Diesels have plastic with some kind or barrier behind it to keep the noise down. If I don't use my 6.2 Diesel cab, I'll at least be taking this stuff off the truck for one of my others. I like a quiet cab.

Pic of 6.2 Firewall.

Attachments

• PropPics 002b.jpg
    PropPics 002b.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 749

Mattchu60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Update: About a week ago I ordered some Fatmat Extreme Rattlemat, got 50sf. I worked yesterday to install it on the roof and the pillars. I have a silverado with the headliner and pillar trim, so its not visible. The difference is amazing, I am almost shocked how much quieter it is.

Here is what I use to gauge my noise in the cab - I have a pioneer radio which the volume reads in numbers. When I got the truck, and driving 70mph on the interstate - I had to run the radio up to 32 to hear it and it was sometimes hard to understand due to all the wind noise and road noise. After I put new door and window seals in, I could drop it to 20-24. Then I added a 2nd door seal on the doors, dropped to 18ish.

Now that this is done, I can listen at 10-12 and its amazing how much clearer the sound is as well. I'm hoping I can get it down to around 7-8 when I cover the rear of the cab and the floors/firewall someday. Right now I am going to wait until next summer, as truck funds are low due to buying new wheels/tires recently.

Ol' Red

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Everyone's situation is different. The solution for me was to use Grace Ice & Watershield. It waterproofs and deadens the sound and comes 3' wide x 100' roll. It's a roofing product and is a fraction of the cost of Dynamat etc. There have been people talking about the smell once installed... They're full of crap. Just trying to justify blowing all their money on the brand name. I did not do inside the doors because I have power windows and really no room to get in there. My situation is I have a big block 454 w/headers and probably wouldn't hear much squeaking anyway. I have a decent (old school) stereo system (no ridiculous boomer under the seat) it runs and sounds like a new truck. Put things in perspective, spend your money on something you'll actually see.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Everyone's situation is different. The solution for me was to use Grace Ice & Watershield. It waterproofs and deadens the sound and comes 3' wide x 100' roll. It's a roofing product and is a fraction of the cost of Dynamat etc. There have been people talking about the smell once installed... They're full of crap. Just trying to justify blowing all their money on the brand name. I did not do inside the doors because I have power windows and really no room to get in there. My situation is I have a big block 454 w/headers and probably wouldn't hear much squeaking anyway. I have a decent (old school) stereo system (no ridiculous boomer under the seat) it runs and sounds like a new truck. Put things in perspective, spend your money on something you'll actually see.

Apparently 3 foot x 75 foot roll. $159 per roll. Does this stuff have an adhesive so it sticks to the metal floorboard and firewall?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/W-R-Grac...=CJ-_-7149033-_-11210757&cj=true#.UikfEX9BGi0

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:popcorn:

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
monstaliner diy bed coating sprayed inside and out then dynamat on the firewall and maybe the floor

Attachments

• 0525121422.jpg
    0525121422.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 413
  • b bird.jpg
    b bird.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 456
  • b bird2.jpg
    b bird2.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 432

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
With proper window seals, that should be one quiet ride.

83_c10

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'm gonna go with Classicparts.com sound deadner kit. It looks like it does most of the cab. If I need more I can get the mats too. I want it dead quite inside. Right now my Kenwood head unit is set on 15 which is pretty loud for it. I can hear it but the drone from the exhaust and the road noise makes it hard to hear. I have a amp and loud speakers in there too and still its hard to hear anything. Once I get it quite I can work on the stereo to get a very nice sounding stereo. I had a big stereo in it but it still had to be up high just to hear it. And it rattled every loose piece of metal there was lol.

steelburner83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
7.4L

thought about trying this out, glad to see it worked for someone else before I spend money

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef