Sometimes Dead, No Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LuckyB50

Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
87 V10, 305, Sm465

I just finished replacing the headers on my 305 and now it won't start. I tested the motor Monday after I finished the drivers side and it started up just fine. I just got the chance to put on the passenger side and now I can't get it to start. More than half the time the key turns in the ignition and it's completely dead, no lights no click no thing. The remainder of the time it will turn on the dash (fasten seatbelts), then I get a single 'chunk' sound and then the lights go out. I thought maybe I killed the battery but I tried to jump it with my car running and I didn't even get dash lights, and the cables will spark when they are connected to the battery and I touch the other pair together.

What could I have done on the passenger side that would kill its start like this? What kind of issue does this sound like, and how can I trouble shoot it?

Nothing is more frustrating than solving one problem and creating a bigger one!

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Maybe it has nothing to do with the headers. Take your cables off the battery and clean the clamps and battery posts. Any idea if the battery cables are original?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LuckyB50

Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I'm sure the headers themselves didn't cause it, it must have been something I smashed my fat fingers into during the process. I scrubbed the posts and the connectors, tho I can't get them to tighten down enough that they wont wiggle (do they need to be so tight that they wont move at all?) I have meant to change the connectors but I figured that as long as they were mostly snug it would be good enough to test. In retrospect this is probably the issue. The wires look older but the previous owner(s) rebuilt the engine so I have no idea any of the real ages.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm sure the headers themselves didn't cause it, it must have been something I smashed my fat fingers into during the process. I scrubbed the posts and the connectors, tho I can't get them to tighten down enough that they wont wiggle (do they need to be so tight that they wont move at all?) I have meant to change the connectors but I figured that as long as they were mostly snug it would be good enough to test. In retrospect this is probably the issue. The wires look older but the previous owner(s) rebuilt the engine so I have no idea any of the real ages.

That's your problem. Get you a good new set of ends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Is this the original side post battery/cables/clamps or, has someone gone and stuck some of those handy dandy top post clamps on it, with a top post battery.
DID YOU, disconnect the negative battery cable before installing those headers ?
If not, You may have blown a fuse-able link.
If You did disconnect the neg. bat. cable, then chances are there is the wires on the battery post of the starter got bumped around and not making a good connection.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
A failed battery IS a possibility. Take it to have it checked. If you have side post terminals like you should, cut the rubber off from around the eyelet and bolt. Remove that bolt, throw it in the trash. Get a 1 1/2" x 3/8" hex head bolt with 3/8" coarse threads on it and a screw a nut onto it right up to the head. Put that trough the cable end I to the battery terminal. Bottom out the bolt into the cavity, then tighten the nut down onto the eyelet. This will hold much better and be less prone to strip the soft threads of the lead.

LuckyB50

Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
It was the terminals, swapped them out and its back to normal. Thanks for the obvious (but not too me) fix.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
A failed battery IS a possibility. Take it to have it checked. If you have side post terminals like you should, cut the rubber off from around the eyelet and bolt. Remove that bolt, throw it in the trash. Get a 1 1/2" x 3/8" hex head bolt with 3/8" coarse threads on it and a screw a nut onto it right up to the head. Put that trough the cable end I to the battery terminal. Bottom out the bolt into the cavity, then tighten the nut down onto the eyelet. This will hold much better and be less prone to strip the soft threads of the lead.

This method also makes it easier to hook up jumper cables.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

Be sure to NOT wrench it to the bottom, push bottom out of threaded hole and leakum acid allatime.
I seen a feller do this one time,:whymewhyme: I took fair warning from it too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising