Somebody tried to steal my truck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Kills switches help, and so do gas shut off valves but not much you can do for someone driving around with a self loader stinger towing them off. Usually the pros using that kind of equipment though are looking for late model trucks and SUV's like Escalades and Denalis.

towman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
to protect from the theives with tow trucks, park it where it would be a nightmare to get to, close to poles the steering wheel turned ect, with running a tow truck it is easy for me to pick places to park

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size
**** that's terrible

:(

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
to protect from the theives with tow trucks, park it where it would be a nightmare to get to, close to poles the steering wheel turned ect, with running a tow truck it is easy for me to pick places to park

And if possible, back into walls or your driveway, and put your park brake on. This way if he does hook up and tries to drag it off, the skidding rear tires will slow him down and likley make some noise to alert someone. Ideally, they'd like to hook it in the rear and get the drive wheels off the ground and why towman suggests turning the front wheels. Going down the road mega sideways is sure to attract some attention too, and if in a narrow residential street chances are they won't make it down that street if cars are parked on both of the street, without hitting something.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I used to repo and we could get around those tricks, and didn't mind towing someone's car way sideways lol. Main thing about cutting the wheels close to a pole or wall is if they try to tow it the turned wheels will direct it into the pole or wall, which is something we didn't want, to damage the vehicle. But we would have a chain set up so all we had to do was pull up, hook up the chain and pull it real quick away from the obstacle, then hook up for tow. We would also go ahead and hook up to whatever end we could get at and I would crawl under and quickly pop the shift linkage loose and pop the trans in neutral. You can't stop someone if they really want it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I used to repo and we could get around those tricks, and didn't mind towing someone's car way sideways lol. Main thing about cutting the wheels close to a pole or wall is if they try to tow it the turned wheels will direct it into the pole or wall, which is something we didn't want, to damage the vehicle. But we would have a chain set up so all we had to do was pull up, hook up the chain and pull it real quick away from the obstacle, then hook up for tow. We would also go ahead and hook up to whatever end we could get at and I would crawl under and quickly pop the shift linkage loose and pop the trans in neutral. You can't stop someone if they really want it.

NO doubt if they want it they'll get it. All you can do is make it harder to get. Hopefully you've made it hard enough, they might just decide to move onto an easier target. Its also easier to repo a vehicle than it is steal one, knowing you don't have a risk of going to jail for a repo.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I guess the best thing to get is Lo-jack or some other tracking device.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathanjohnson85