Somebody please Help 87 5.7 stalled and wont restart

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87fi

Reaction score
First Name
Monty
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
So I have had this 87 SWB truck for about two months. It has 57,000 original miles so it hasnt been driven much by me until my DD broke down again. It has always run decent, air blows cold, but runs a little rich. If you floor it, it bogs down for a sec then takes off. Well it has dual tanks and I have never used the passenger side until yesterday. I filled both up. After filling them up it stalled on the drivers side, which I have always used the drivers side. I had to switch to the passenger side tabk to get the truck started again. Ran perfect until last night leaving my shop the the belts got real loud, so i reved to get them set. The truck stalled and wont restart. I have ruled out the switch itself or the fuel pump relay as of now. I keep hearing about the ECM-A and Ecm-b fuses but dont know where to find them. Somebody please help. My excursion is the shop getting another round of $8000.00 repairs and this my sunday driver back up car. I need this thing fixed by Monday or Im gonna have to bite the bullet and buy another truck. Ugh, please help my wife is getting mad at all my trucks lol

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
So I have had this 87 SWB truck for about two months. It has 57,000 original miles so it hasnt been driven much by me until my DD broke down again. It has always run decent, air blows cold, but runs a little rich. If you floor it, it bogs down for a sec then takes off. Well it has dual tanks and I have never used the passenger side until yesterday. I filled both up. After filling them up it stalled on the drivers side, which I have always used the drivers side. I had to switch to the passenger side tabk to get the truck started again. Ran perfect until last night leaving my shop the the belts got real loud, so i reved to get them set. The truck stalled and wont restart. I have ruled out the switch itself or the fuel pump relay as of now. I keep hearing about the ECM-A and Ecm-b fuses but dont know where to find them. Somebody please help. My excursion is the shop getting another round of $8000.00 repairs and this my sunday driver back up car. I need this thing fixed by Monday or Im gonna have to bite the bullet and buy another truck. Ugh, please help my wife is getting mad at all my trucks lol
If you are still getting a check engine light when you turn the key to on, ecm fuse is fine.
ECM Fuse and ECM B are both in the fuse panel under the dash.
Have you ruled out ignition yet? Got Spark?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
These dual fuel tank horror stories scare me more than the 700r4 ones.

What sticks out of your post is the belts noises. When you say won't start, does it turn over?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
These dual fuel tank horror stories scare me more than the 700r4 ones.

What sticks out of your post is the belts noises. When you say won't start, does it turn over?

True, I have seen frozen up accessories stall an engine out.

87fi

Reaction score
First Name
Monty
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
No, I havent checked for spark yet, because i thought it was just a fuel issue. I know im not getting any fuel to the TB. But i will check in the morning as the truck is broke down at my shop. I dont remember the check engine light coming on at all now that you mention it. As for the belts they squeal alot because the previous owner put belts on that are to big. I cant get enough adjustment out of them. I actually was going to replace them, the brakes, and spark plugs this weekend. I replaced fuel pump relay, the tank switch and was going to replace the tank selector vave in the morning. But i feel like im barking uo the wrong tree and that it may be an electrical short somewhere else. Im kind of stumped

87fi

Reaction score
First Name
Monty
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
And yes it does turn over freely. I guess it could be spark, but im still not getting fuel either

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Take it back to old school man. Check for spark first next round, then pull a line off the TBI and check for flow.

Sent from muh IDGAS.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Ok. Yeah, check all the fuses, and also go over the previouse wok you did with the selector. If all is good, check for spark. you should also be able to hear the fuel pumps prime before turnover.

87fi

Reaction score
First Name
Monty
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
Yeah, the fuel pumps are definitely not priming. Its so weird, it must be electrical. I was throwing a 12 code at highway speed, but it would go away. I took it to a reputable LS guy here in town and he said that means the light itsel is working lol. Said I probably had a short somewhere. Ugh its always something. I appreciate the input.

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
i put tbi from a 87 in my 85 all the wires and plugs looked good but the fuel pumps would not work.

i had to put a jumper wire from the battery to the plug below the brake master for the fuel pumps (temp fix to get home)

try running a power jumper wire to that plug to see if your pumps are good. that will either prove its a pump bad or wiring. cause from that plug back the wiring is straight to the pumps. if you run a hot wire to that plug and you can not hear the pumps they are bad.

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
that old of a truck with that little miles i would say it sit alot and the pumps dried up probably bad pumps

test the pumps if bad put in new pumps pickup screens and filter

87fi

Reaction score
First Name
Monty
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
Thanks Kleedus, ill give it a shot. Makes sense the pumps may be bad. Just seemed weird that both would go at the same time. Ill work on it in the morning. May need more help. Ill let y'all know. For now Ive got a few good ideas to work on. I really appreciate everyones input.

87fi

Reaction score
First Name
Monty
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
Kleedus, do you have a pic of the plug Im running the jumper wire to?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
You wont get codes while it is running, only when the engine is off. The light will illuminate while running, letting you know there is a problem.

87fi

Reaction score
First Name
Monty
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
You wont get codes while it is running, only when the engine is off. The light will illuminate while running, letting you know there is a problem.

Right, what i was trying to say was the light comes on hwy speed, but goes back off. When I check the codes all i get is a 12. Sorry for the confussion. I have had a severe viral infection / cold all week and Im not 100%. So please bare with me if I come off as loopy, its just the medication im on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynhigh88