somebody HELP me, Wiper & Headlight switch 1984 C10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fire-chickens

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Alright i just recently bought a 1984 Chevy C10 and on the way from driving it 700 miles home the wiper washer fluid was stuck on spray, and i tried to turn it off and i guess the wiper switch went bad as well, and it will no longer turn the wipers off and you have to mess with the washer fluid stalk to get it to stop spraying. I had the wiper fuse pulled to stop my wipers till a new switch comes in.

now my high and low beams worked as usual prior to this occuring,

NOW when i turn on my headlights after the switch went bad, on low beams the bottom passenger light comes on

High Beams
You must be registered for see images attach

LOW Beams
You must be registered for see images attach

could the first issue cause the headlight problem from within the wiring in the stalk? anybody ever experience this, im almost sure my odds of 3 headlights being bad on one beam is slim. and on low beam arent the top lights supposed to come on? HELP! I've cleaned all the prongs with steel wool and sprayed contact cleaner in the plugs with NO luck.

Why is the bottom light coming on when low beams are on, and high beams are working as usual? when i bought the truck i drove it 700 miles and 450 miles in they were fine, then the same night my wiper switch broke this occurred it seems

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Oh wow, that's weird. I wonder if the headlight switch is shorted out internally?

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
358 Dart block with aluminum heads 430hp/450ft-lb torque
somebody HELP me new here with new to me 1984 C10

I have an 84 but it's a single headlight. The same wire coming from the dash runs both low beams. So don't know how they relate to your high beams. A low beam wire and a high beam wire. The wipers are completely separate from the headlights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size

Test the headlight plugs with a test light or meter.

fire-chickens

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
well i did notice the 3 prong light is on bottom and 2 prong is on top is that wrong?

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
well i did notice the 3 prong light is on bottom and 2 prong is on top is that wrong?

Factory puts them the other way, so somebody has switched them. Shouldn't hurt anything as long as the correct bulbs are used with the correct plugs and they are aimed properly.

fire-chickens

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Factory puts them the other way, so somebody has switched them. Shouldn't hurt anything as long as the correct bulbs are used with the correct plugs and they are aimed properly.

if i switch them around then i should be good and i do believe the low beam headlight is out on the drivers side bottom, so 1 new light and a half hour of time ill have it fixed hopefully. someone wasnt using their head when they replaced the headlights...

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
They probably did it on purpose to make the headlights look different at night, so the low beams aren't so far away from the turn signals.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I thought you were saying they worked like factory before all this happened and now they were switched around. Had me confused.

Since they're just backwards, I would definitely switch then back. I'm fairly certain that the law requires the low beams to be on top.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using Tapatalk

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, sounds like you need to switch the upper and lower beams, or leave it if you like it that way, but the other issues SHOULD ALL be handled after you replace that Multifunction Switch.

BTW, there are some good steering column threads on here that will help you with that switch replacement. I'd look those up and get yourself familiar with what's involved before the switch gets here. This way you can find, locate tool rental or make some special tools you'll need. And there are some spring loaded parts that will fly out at you and if you're not watching, you won't see where they go.

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size

I just put one in my tilt column 84 k10 if I can help let me know. Tools you will need include a steering wheel puller and a column retaining ring compressor. That's really about it other than basic hand tools.

fire-chickens

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
switched the lights around bought a new low beam headlight, and all is well thanks for the help!

apparently whomever replaced them didn't pay attention when they took the lights apart.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size