Solder Connectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Have ya'll seen these? I saw them on facebook and was very leery about them. So I ordered some for the shop to try out. I'll be damned if they don't work right lol. Was very easy to use and supposedly water proof.

Today I was about to install the new Kenwood radio, and guess what....the old kenwood connector is not pinned the same lol. Basturds lol. Anyway, I'm going to get a few from the shop for this after what I've seen. No soldering iron needed, just a heat gun.

Try it a few times on scrap wire. If you get the gun too close to it, the heatshrink will melt.

There are kits of them on Amazon. Just look up Solder Connectors.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
They kind of work. But have doubt of heat penetrating far enough to wick solder to the very conter

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Here’s a vid with a good, comprehensive review on those connectors

Memaloose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I love the solder/heat shrink connectors especially on heavy equipment and off road trucks. The tail light connectors on dump trucks always corrode and come apart with straight crimp connectors but with the solder/heat shrink, I've never had one fail. Great invention in my opinion.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks for sharing. I’m going to look into these for future work!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Ive used them with good success, I also do a heat shrink tube around the outside after the fact. Some of the sizes in the kit I got are annoying because it goes from one gauge to another on the other side. I believe it was just the kit I got, i could use more straight 14 to 14 or 16 to 16, its really only an issue on the red more so. but im sure more comprenhensive kits include more.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Have ya'll seen these? I saw them on facebook and was very leery about them. So I ordered some for the shop to try out. I'll be damned if they don't work right lol. Was very easy to use and supposedly water proof.

Today I was about to install the new Kenwood radio, and guess what....the old kenwood connector is not pinned the same lol. Basturds lol. Anyway, I'm going to get a few from the shop for this after what I've seen. No soldering iron needed, just a heat gun.

Try it a few times on scrap wire. If you get the gun too close to it, the heatshrink will melt.

I bought some off Amazon I think. I have used them a good bit so far. I really like them. And the connections I have made are as good or better than crimp but connectors. Really fine stuff I would probably use crimp shrink butt connectors or solder and shrink wrap them the old way

Curt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-30
Engine Size
I haven’t got to try them just yet.That’ll definitely save some time on wiring projects.Soldering is fine on a work bench,but in the truck is a pain and most likely not gonna end up a great connection,plus get burned a little.

Also,the standard red,blue,and yellow connectors leave a lot to be desired.I guess because those fit multiple gauges,sometimes I have to modify or figure something else out

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I haven’t got to try them just yet.That’ll definitely save some time on wiring projects.Soldering is fine on a work bench,but in the truck is a pain and most likely not gonna end up a great connection,plus get burned a little.

Also,the standard red,blue,and yellow connectors leave a lot to be desired.I guess because those fit multiple gauges,sometimes I have to modify or figure something else out
Yep I know what you mean on red and blue. Sometimes I have to even fold over the wires to get them thicker before I crimp. Even when useing the correct one for the gauge.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Banned on naval vessels.

Why?...Sea Going Bellhops not smart enough to use them....LOL

Sorry brother couldn't resist...lol

Seriously why are they not allowed?

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
Thanks for bringing this up. I've been looking at them for sometime and still haven't pulled the trigger on them.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
their good, just get some spare wire to try on first so you can get the feel of what to look for when your doing it.

Knight84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

I love these things. Used them for the bike project and now fixing the burb with them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blue Boy