Smokin' Deal!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

superbee70

Reaction score
First Name
tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Just bought 2 full GM quarters for $300 for the pair. Quarters are in excellent shape. Mine are starting to go on the bottoms but for the price couldn't pass these up. Swapping the full quarter will let me do the outer wheelwell and figure out something for the inners. So far I've collected a full set of doors including cargo and an NOS tailpan/crossmember (whatever the piece is under the cargo doors).

The quarters are from the 70's style so they don't have the gas cap door. I'm thinking I should just be able to swith the filler neck to convert mine to the earlier style? This would be easier that sectioning in the gas door section.

And the outer wheelwells are same as a pickup? And no one makes the inners, pickup inners are different? With the quarters off I'll see if I can get truck inners to work with some mods.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That's a really good deal!

The outers are completely different from pickup outers, and you already know about the inners being different. You will be at an advantage having the quarters removed, plenty of access to fabricate wheel tubs. You can probably make the pickup parts work though, the inner will need to be shortened lengthwise and probably cut down in width too. It sure as hell would be nice if someone would finally make Burb parts though.

One possibility is finding a set of trailer fenders the right shape to cut up and turn into wheel tubs.

72chevy2door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Sierra Classic suburban
Engine Size
I've seen this done on a drag truck but they took an old oil drum and chopped it up and made it into wheel wells. I assume they wanted to clear any imaginable sized slicks. But oil drums are thick and strong. Plus they have and end cap. All you would have to do is make a cut going straight up the middle then across the middle to shorten the height so they lay down and bam both full wheel wells. I mean some mods would have to be done cause it's in a suburban but I seen it done on a S-dime. :big_banana_Dance:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
the 79 and earlier with the round screw caps use a smaller diameter hose and opening on the tank as well I think the hoses are longer and the vent tube is in slightly different location on the tank on the older ones. they are not the same as the 79/80 and newer square style tanks.

so you would have to fabricate a reducer or switch tanks as well or replace the round screwcap with a square fill door

superbee70

Reaction score
First Name
tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Thanks for the heads up on the tank. I could probably adapt something pretty easily for the tank. the other option is sectioning in the square door opening I have now.

I really only need to repair the bottoms of the quarters but figure with the full quarter off I can work on the inners. I thought the outer wheelwells were the same as a pickup? I'll have to take a look when I start working.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size