Smallblock questions,,,,,,,,

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

charlie phillips

Reaction score
First Name
charlie
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Being new to the Chevy brand (was a Mopar guy for over 40 years), I'd like some info. I have a 1987 350" motor all unassembled. It's been recently bored .030". New stock cast pistons, new rods, reconditioned heads, etc. What I'd like to know is can I bolt an older set of carberated heads on this block? I have all kinds of choices for aluminum 4bbl intakes and carbs. I have the chance to get a pair of I believe 882 heads that have been reworked. I want to do this build old school and not invest in aluminum heads. What are my choices? Also I realize that compression won't be very high due to the fact the domes of the new slugs are dished a bit but do have valve reliefs in them so a slightly aggressive cam profile is in order. Any help is appreciated!!!!

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
yep it works fine as long as you swap heads and intake together. The block is the same

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
as far as iron heads look for "camel hump" or "double hump" heads. Best your gonna do with stock iron. Maybe some obscure 60's era heads have higher compression but good luck finding them. Your better off buying NOS aftermarket.
I run Summit 007 heads that are 72cc combustion chambers(same as camel humps) and run over .510 lift and love them for the price. They have been worked over and run roller with guide plates but no porting. They cost around $600 pair and can take .520 lift as is.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
I say keep your heads on. Buy an intake for tbi to carb swap and a carb, slap a [email protected] with 456ish lift and be done unless you want to raise compression somehow. Thats gonna make the motor happiest and give you all around better performance. Without raising compression they dont like much other than that.
You can get a set of vortec aluminum heads pretty cheap. Have them worked for bigger studs and springs etc.. and do much more in the long run. the 64cc chambers and intake port design really do help it make power.

Last edited:

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
I am running 882 heads on my 383 stroker, 8.7 compression, and a mild cam.
It has worked out perfectly for well over 100,000 HARD use miles ...
A lot of guys don't care for the 882's, but if you run the heavy ones with thicker castings and don't overheat them, you;ll be fine.
The thinner casting lightweight 882's are less forgiving and should be avoided.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
I think the 882 is a fine choice for a budget build but i wouldnt buy a set if i already had tbi heads. Unless they have been worked for a spring upgrade and all. If im not mistaken all the 80s smogger heads are the same intake/exhaust and chamber volumes and dimensions ..just different castings for different applications . The heads from the 87 tbi should be a 65cc chamber and give higher compression.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I agree. I would never chose to buy and swap 882 heads, since their potential is so limited due to the restricted flow and 72cc chambers. If you ever want more performance later on you will find those old heads are the big limitation. Because of your dished pistons, even with 64cc chambers you will still be able for run regular gas.

Either stick with the TBI heads you have, go for iron Vortec, or use one of the many aluminum head options. Many aftermarket Vortec and aluminum heads are drilled for both old and new intake bolt patterns, so you may not need to buy a Vortec intake.

Stock Vortecs have good flowing 64cc chambers, but are limited to lift of about .420. Aftermarket heads are usually modified to allow higher lift, and you can use different springs to allow more lift with stock heads. Stock Vortec heads also have press-in rocker studs, and it’s common to swap to threaded. However, its probably overkill for a DD.

Bruce

charlie phillips

Reaction score
First Name
charlie
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Ok,,, so what would be a good 4bbl intake for the TBI heads? Sounds like I should keep what I got.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Edelbrock Performer TBI is one of the most commonly used intakes. The base Performer intake is not a lot better than stock, and with older heads I would also look at the Performer RPM. However, I’m not sure they have a better intake for the TBI heads.

Bruce

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
their potential is so limited due to the restricted flow and 72cc chambers.
its worse than that brother. the stockers are 76cc. My aftermarket 007 heads are 72cc. The double humps from the 60s were 72 as well. the only real difference in my 007s and dh heads are the runner volumes and valve diamater. the 007 are 2.02in 1.60 ex

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
as far as iron heads look for "camel hump" or "double hump" heads. Best your gonna do with stock iron. Maybe some obscure 60's era heads have higher compression but good luck finding them. Your better off buying NOS aftermarket.
I run Summit 007 heads that are 72cc combustion chambers(same as camel humps) and run over .510 lift and love them for the price. They have been worked over and run roller with guide plates but no porting. They cost around $600 pair and can take .520 lift as is.
Are they close to the same as dart iron eagle 007?

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
Are they close to the same as dart iron eagle 007?

they are recast dart heads that summit bought the rights to produce. Exact replica of the 72cc dart 007s.
Dart made them in 54cc 58cc 64cc 72cc with varying valve sizes and port dimensions
They are basically aftermarket iron double hump heads with all the good work done already(bigger valves and springs-larger porting)

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
they are recast dart heads that summit bought the rights to produce. Exact replica of the 72cc dart 007s.
Dart made them in 54cc 58cc 64cc 72cc with varying valve sizes and port dimensions
They are basically aftermarket iron double hump heads with all the good work done already(bigger valves and springs-larger porting)
I ask because i recently got a set of dart brand iron eagle ss 007 heads and im not sure the specs on them.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
yep thats what ive got basically. I remember looking up casting numbers and having little luck. If the summit re-brands were made in other cc i wouldnt know what i have. luckily they only made a 72cc in summit castings.
Dart made quite a few variations of the iron eagle ss 007s and they are pretty old so info is scarce

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
yep thats what ive got basically. I remember looking up casting numbers and having little luck. If the summit re-brands were made in other cc i wouldnt know what i have. luckily they only made a 72cc in summit castings.
Dart made quite a few variations of the iron eagle ss 007s and they are pretty old so info is scarce
Guess im gunna poke n hope when i put them on...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody