SM465 Vent/Breather Tube?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
Does the sm465 have a vent tube? I checked around the top and sides of the case, but couldn't find any tubes coming off it. It's pretty dirty/muddy down there so maybe I just missed it? Or does it just vent from the top where the shifter is?
I have gone through and elongated the breather tubes for the axles and transfer case, but I can't find one for the transmission. The transfer case had a very small (~2") vent tube coming out the top, so I replaced that with a longer hose that goes all the way up to the top of the radiator support. I'm wondering if the transmission has a similar little vent tube sticking out somewhere.

GEB

Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
Yes it does right in the middle of the top cover. My video series on my YouTube channel "Geb Built" shows it in the "SM465 Sloppy Shifter Fix" video. Ill find it and post the link.

GEB

Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
My whole channel would have good info for your square!

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
Thanks Geb, great channel! I will definitely be referencing your videos, I have been meaning to do that shfiter slop fix. You have a great shop too btw.

And if anybody's wondering, the vent for the sm465 is just a little cap pressed in to the top of the case - it doesn't have a regular pipe fitting with nipple/barb to run a hose off of:

You must be registered for see images attach

Image from GebBuilt's Youtube channel

What Geb has done in this video is remove that pressed on cap, and tap for a proper vent tube fitting.

I think for now I'm going to leave it, but when I rebuild my sm465 and have it out, I will do this.

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
GEBs stuff is on point. His youtube channel was my best friend when I rebuilt my NP205.

For what it is worth, the aluminum top covers on the later model SM465s have a more traditional style 90 degree elbow breather fitting. I didn't happen to take a picture before I reinstalled my transmission, but it is there.

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
Actually, I found a picture. Not a great one, but the breather is on the left side of the top cover in front of the shifter tower.

You must be registered for see images attach

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
I see, that's the style found on my transfer case.

I have the last year of the cast iron top cover ('87). It was in 1988 thru 91 that they switched to an aluminum top cover.

GEB

Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
Awesome!!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I see, that's the style found on my transfer case.

I have the last year of the cast iron top cover ('87). It was in 1988 thru 91 that they switched to an aluminum top cover.

The aluminum top cover was only used in the GMT 400 bodystyle of trucks. It moves the shifter a little to the rear, and also provides a shorter throw. '88-'91 squarebody trucks had the old cast iron cover.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bowers31