Broken shift tube?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dleslie212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7L 350
@Dieslie212,

It's my understanding that these two tubes need to be separate so that the inner tube, which turns in shifting, must not be welded together. The outer tube with the slots in it is exactly that, the outer tube that all the upper parts attach to, i.e. lower column housing, upper column housing. I've had mine apart as well, although it's been a very long time, and yes there are tow soft plastic "shims" inside and yes, they do have to be kept aligned while putting the two tubes together. It's a pain but necessary in order for the "collapse" part to work. I might be wrong but I don't think you'll be able to shift if these two are welded together.
Update on this - I got everything back together and it's working perfectly. Will it collapse the way it's supposed to if I rear end somebody? Hopefully. I don't know. Those six tack welds are pretty small. But the shifter works now. On to my wiring harness. Thanks for all the help, everyone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe