SM465 Transmission Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Just thought I would ask. I was wondering if I needed that tool or could make my own trany wrokbench out of 2x6's with hole in the middle.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Just thought I would ask. I was wondering if I needed that tool or could make my own trany wrokbench out of 2x6's with hole in the middle.

You could do that, but at workbench height, it would be awful high reach. What I acutlly use for that Turbo 400 install, is an old wooden end table with some sturdy legs that someone was throwing away, and I drilled a 2 inch hole in the center of it. I keep it out in the garage as a sitting on stool or step, and when I need it, its handy. As far as a workbench for transmisisons, you might want to find some sheet metal guy to make you a pan of some sort. I had steal on mine. I gave him the dimensions, he charged me what the cost of material was and made it for me in school for a project. Then the teacher sent this thing home for me to grade it for functionablilty, how close to specs that I wanted, and workmanship. I gave him and A+ on it. It was exactly what I told him to make. It has a couple breaks in it, so the fluid drains to the back to the back of the pan and away from me, then pipe is welded to the drain, and I clamed a hose onto the pipe, and it goes to a 5 gallon bucket that catches all the mess. Works great for $35 and I had it built into a 8ft by 3ft workbench, and my Snapress Spring compressor was bolted to the table, on the table part, not the pan, beside the pan. So most of my tools were handy, and had clean space to set things up and it functioned well. I don't have any pics of that table now, since I gave it away, but I did keep the pan and use it now on top of a kitchen counter top island until I build another table someday soon.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Here is a pic of the pan. You see it has a 1 1/2 in flange all around it. That is so It can sit down in a wooden table and then its flush. It works well and looks good in a table with the drain to the back. You can barely see the angle breaks in the pic to route fluid to the back, and its only got a 1 inch drop from front to back, but thats all it takes to move the fluid outta your way.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 69Chevelle 007.jpg
    69Chevelle 007.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I wasn't thinking workbench height. I was thinking figure up car/truck maker makes the longest auto casing. Then add 12in and that would be my height. Use 4x4 posts for legs and 2x6's for the rest. With 4-8in in the middle.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I wasn't thinking workbench height. I was thinking figure up car/truck maker makes the longest auto casing. Then add 12in and that would be my height. Use 4x4 posts for legs and 2x6's for the rest. With 4-8in in the middle.

Yeah, whatever is easiest and works for you. As I said, for that, I have a used end table someone was throwing away. I think i have a pic of it too. Just that a trans is sitting across the hole I drilled in the center of it, but thats it. Pretty much lightweight, so I can carry it into the house and work on transmisisons in the house. Only assembly though I might add. All disassembly and parts cleaning is done in the garage on the trans pan and the solvent bath. By the way, I added a support runner across the bottom of this table to support the top becuase obviusly, a transmisison is a little heavier than an ashtray and TV remote with a pretty little flower vase.

attachment.php

Attachments

• T400Assembly 051.jpg
    T400Assembly 051.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL