SM465 Top Cover Interchangeability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
I have an old style 465 with the cast iron top cover and shifter tower. I have read that the newer style 465s with the aluminum top cover provides a little bit shorter shifter throw due to the placement and design of the shift tower. Questions:

1. Can anyone confirm that the aluminum top cover does create a shorter shifter throw?

2. Can i just simply swap the aluminum top cover and shifter onto my older style case? Or are there other modifications needed to make this work? Obviously, there will be tunnel modifications needed due to the shift tower being 4" +/- further back. But what about the shift forks inside the case...do those remain in the same spot as the cast iron top cover forks?

3. Is it worth the hassle to try to find one of the rare aluminum top covers? Is the shifting noticeably better/shorter?

Thanks in advance!
Kyle

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It does make a shorter and nicer shift, no doubt about it.

When you remove the top cover, the shift forks come out with it. Before you pull the shifter, put the trans in 1st gear (not granny). Or maybe it's 2nd... can't remember for sure now. After removing the shifter, unbolt the cover and remove the whole assembly. When the replacement cover/forks are installed, just make sure the forks are lined up and drop it into place.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
It does make a shorter and nicer shift, no doubt about it.

When you remove the top cover, the shift forks come out with it. Before you pull the shifter, put the trans in 1st gear (not granny). Or maybe it's 2nd... can't remember for sure now. After removing the shifter, unbolt the cover and remove the whole assembly. When the replacement cover/forks are installed, just make sure the forks are lined up and drop it into place.

I thought it was half way into reverse for the shifter position?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I thought it was half way into reverse for the shifter position?

Beats me. If that's the correct way, I've never done it that way :shrug:

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Partially in reverse per the '78 unit repair manual.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 256

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yup, I been doin it wrong!

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
Good info guys. Thanks for the replies. I will try to track one of these down. I know a couple local yards have the newer style 465s. Don't know if they will part with just the top cover and shifter though.

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
I have found an aluminum top cover which I am likely going to purchase. Only problem is that it does not come with the shifter. I think I read that the older style shifter does not work in the aluminum top cover. Is that correct? If so, is my only option to find a junkyard shifter in another one of these late model 465s? Or is there a quality aftermarket shifter out there that works?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I have found an aluminum top cover which I am likely going to purchase. Only problem is that it does not come with the shifter. I think I read that the older style shifter does not work in the aluminum top cover. Is that correct? If so, is my only option to find a junkyard shifter in another one of these late model 465s? Or is there a quality aftermarket shifter out there that works?

I have an extra shifter that I can probably let go of. The end has the normal wobble and could stand to be welded, like most 465 shifters. Feel free to PM me if you are interested.

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
@bucket thanks for offering up a spare part! Unfortunately the top cover I was going to get turned out to be "toasted" according to the junkyard that has it. So the search is back on for a top cover and shifter. I'm hoping to find the 2 together. But if I can't, I very well may take you up on your offer. You wouldn't happen to have an aluminum top cover to go with that shifter, would you??

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Well, uh... sort of. I had the setup for sale for a while without much interest, and I convinced myself just to keep it and use it. But I do have the extra (separate) shifter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad