SM 465 Bellhousing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CBidzinski2010

Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350ci
Alright guys,
I am truly at a loss here as I have no Idea where to look or what to buy, I have an 87 K20 that I have recently swapped from a 350 to a 454 in front of an SM 465/208 combo. The trans and transfer case are factory (including that crappy aluminum bellhousing) and after the swap every thing was pretty nice, love the truck. Lately (after some light mudding :( ) the truck shakes ridiculously bad when taking off from a start in 1st gear (not low gear), and it isn't as bad in low or reverse. I took a slow motion video of the shaking and you can see the entire trans moving around so my first thought was that the trans mount was bad. After replacing the trans mount, the shaking is not as bad but is still pretty bad as I can not throttle a start and can only slowly let the clutch out to keep the shaking from happening. Laying under the truck and putting pressure on the driveshaft with my foot I can see that the bellhousing is moving compared to the engine. I then thought maybe the bolts had coe loose being aluminum bell housing, however, I checked them all and they are all tight, I had originally torqued them to 25 ft-lb so I am now assuming that the housing must be cracked. No problem right? just buy a new bellhousing!!!!

I do not know where to look or what to by as even summit has told me that they do not offer housing for that trans combo and from what I have read the opening for the input bearing reatiner is a different size than the M-21 style or saginaw transmissions. I found a site that says they can bore the openings and turn down the bearing retainer so it fits properly but I do not want to have to do all of this work for a brand new housing.

Input would be greatly appreciated, am I better off to just go to a yard and try to find another housing? I would prefer to have a cast iron housing but that seems hard to find as well.

Thanks for reading guys and any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cody

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Had a Muncie SM465 (complete w/ clutch pedal assy, master/slave cyl, bell housing, new clutch/bearing, misc bolts, x-member, etc) a few months ago. Great tranny, but caught hell finding someone to buy it, finally shipped the whole mess fr Texas -> Michigan for $250 plus freight cost.
The SM465 is a rock solid tranny, don't seem to fail, easy to work on. With that said I have not seen much of a market for them, meaning the bell housing should be fairly cheap in the yards...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmballow02