Slamming hood?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
How hard do you have to close the hood for it to lock?
I feel like I need to really slam down the hood for it to latch properly, are there any adjustments I can make, or is anything wearing down?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
First make sure your primary latch hook (on the radiator support frame) is lined up properly with the striker (on the underside of the hood). While closing the hood slowly, just look through the crack between the hood and grille. Watch the engagement and confirm that the striker bar is aligned with the middle of the slot in the primary latch.

Next adjust the hood stop bumpers - this is likely your issue. If these are set too high, getting the striker to engage the primary latch can require a lot of slamming. The stop bumpers are on the far left and right sides of the radiator frame support:

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

As long as the threads are not stripped, these are wicked easy to adjust. They simply screw in or out to lower/raise the stop points. The only problem is that you can't see the final clearance so they are adjusted by trial and error. This is how I do it:

1. Screw them way down - until there is no contact between the underside of the hood and the bumper (when the hood is closed).

2. Start adjusting them so that when the hood is closed they just barely make contact with the underside. Just take your best guess about how far to raise them.

3. Try closing the hood. As long as you haven't raised them too far, the hood should close and latch easily without any slamming.

4. Continue to raise the bumpers in stages until your each the point where the hood starts to require a bit of a slam to engage the striker/latch.

5. Screw the bumpers back down 1//2 turn.

6. Drive around for a few days and note whether you hear any rattling at the hood grille interface.

7. If you do hear rattling, raise the bumpers back up just a bit - until the rattle is gone.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
You can also adjust up or down the primary latch hook on the radiator support frame. In my case, the hood when closed would vibrate up and down while driving at highway speeds. The hood was secure, but the movement drove me nuts. I marked the original position of the latch mechanism with a scribe at the mounting hardware. After loosing the hardware (two 1/2" hex bolts), I lowered the latch down in 1/8" incriments until the hood was secure and didnt vibrate while driving. This adjustment also helped with not having to slam the hood in order to close it. In addition to this adjustment, raising and lowering the rubber stops also helps.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
There is several adjustments you can make. You adjust the hook, you can adjust the catch and you can also adjust the stoppers. Figure out what is going on before slamming it and adjust accordingly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jingle1