Should I Return/Exchange These Headers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrburitto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Cheyenne Camper Special, C30 Crew Cab Dualy
Engine Size
350, 496
Hey Everyone,

Got my new Heddman Hedders for my 79 k20 and was in the process of stripping the protective paint so I could paint them with a ceramic and I found something I wasnt expecting. Looks like one of the spots that they had it clamped during fabrication. It goes almost all the way around it and one part isnt too deep and within what I would expect but the other bigger one looks like its at least halfway through the pipe. Its deep enough to make a glare from my camera flash...

I was planning on returning them but someone in my build thread said that it was normal. Im not convinced lol. It seems like poor craftsmanship to me and a weak point in the tubes that will get hotter than the rest because it cant dissipate the heat as quickly. Which would lead to the metal in that spot becoming brittle.

Jeggs wasn't super helpful with the return either and was thinking about calling Heddman but I don't know if they handle something like this or if I should go through Jeggs. I have to wait over a week to get my new headers if I do return them. And no consolation prize for my troubles :(

Just don't want to wait a week or two to get them back and then my next set with all the protective paint still on, have the same thing. I spent like 4 hours on those already with some really nasty chemicals that I don't like using. Also don't want to be a jerk and make a bunch of underpaid people work extra at Jeggs and Hedman for no reason. Let me know what you think, thanks.

You must be registered for see images attach

Smindustries

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic
Engine Size
0.0L
That mark is from the tubing bender clamping the straight tube during the bending operation. It’s fine from a durability standpoint.

Of more concern should be the composition of the steel. It’s a mild steel, which is generally I’ll-suited to automotive exhaust applications. The reason it had a coating on it was to prevent it from rusting prior to delivery to the customer. Once installed, they’re going to rust almost instantaneously. Whatever you’re applying to the outside isn’t going to help much because the condensation will form on the inside.

mrburitto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 496
That mark is from the tubing bender clamping the straight tube during the bending operation. It’s fine from a durability standpoint.

Of more concern should be the composition of the steel. It’s a mild steel, which is generally I’ll-suited to automotive exhaust applications. The reason it had a coating on it was to prevent it from rusting prior to delivery to the customer. Once installed, they’re going to rust almost instantaneously. Whatever you’re applying to the outside isn’t going to help much because the condensation will form on the inside.

Damn, solved one problem and learned of a new one... I chose these headers specifically because I had found a few reviews that say these are the only headers they have ever found that fit perfectly with no bending or tweaking into my truck. I knew they werent top of the line but I didn't realize it was that bad. I live in Phoenix so its usually like .0001% humidity and water evaporates almost instantly.

mrburitto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 496
Also I was planning on getting a nice heavy duty stainless set in a few years once I have everything else rebuilt on it.

donnieray

Talks to dogs and trucks.
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
86 C10, 84 K10 MM7 NP833 option truck, 85 K10.
Engine Size
350,355;350.
They will last a few years uncoated and I've had good success with VHT header paint on motorcycles and autos. One of my K's have uncoated headers that were installed in 2010 and they aint pretty but they don't leak. I used VHT on my Sportster pipes four years ago and it hasn't burned off even at the connection to the heads.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Got a set of headman mid length headers and painted with VHT Ceramic silver paint. Just need to install on truck. Been working weekends for 2 months now and haven't been able to get them on yet.

mrburitto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 496
They will last a few years uncoated and I've had good success with VHT header paint on motorcycles and autos. One of my K's have uncoated headers that were installed in 2010 and they aint pretty but they don't leak. I used VHT on my Sportster pipes four years ago and it hasn't burned off even at the connection to the heads.

Nice. That's good to hear. Did you use the satin clear coat on them too?

donnieray

Talks to dogs and trucks.
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
86 C10, 84 K10 MM7 NP833 option truck, 85 K10.
Engine Size
350,355;350.
Nice. That's good to hear. Did you use the satin clear coat on them too?
No, just the flat black header paint. Followed directions as printed on the can.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GMblood