Should I go topless this summer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I have four chains hanging from the ceiling in my garage. I back my truck under the chains, unbolt my 8’ topper, and lift it enough to slide a couple of 2x4s under the topper. An eyebolt on each end of the 2x4s hooks to the chains. Lift it a couple inches and hook it to the chain and drive away. Topper off and stored in less than 10 minutes. No heavy lifting involved.

Codfish
this is pretty much what my dad used to do with his Jimmy when I was a kid, except the eye bolts were screwed into the ceiling and he only hooked the chains to them when he wanted to take the top off, that way they weren't hanging in the way when he wanted to use them. It was a raised ranch so the garage was under the house, fire code (and insulation I suppose) would not allow open rafters. But otherwise yeah that's how it worked for the most part. Pretty slick

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Maybe I'll give it a try, I have a fiberglass cap for my Ford pickup and put that on from time to time, so am familiar with the awkwardness. I don't think I would like running without the doors unless I had some of the tube style 1/2 doors or something. I was more concerned with the exhaust fumes, which I figured shouldn't be an issue.

Guess I need to clean out a space in the shop to store the top.
Yeah you'll be fine. You won't smell the exhaust at all.

And I wouldn't pull the doors either. Hassle to get them aligned when you bolt them back up, and it would just look like a truck with the doors ripped off (especially if you have power options). Jeep Wranglers and CJs are designed to do that, but any other vehicle looks silly like that IMO. Plus, imagine if you saw a vehicle where the roof was designed to unbolt easily you but noticed it still had the roof on it and the doors all were ripped off instead lol. I would just think "wow, methheads at it again"...

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I have four chains hanging from the ceiling in my garage. I back my truck under the chains, unbolt my 8’ topper, and lift it enough to slide a couple of 2x4s under the topper. An eyebolt on each end of the 2x4s hooks to the chains. Lift it a couple inches and hook it to the chain and drive away. Topper off and stored in less than 10 minutes. No heavy lifting involved.

Codfish
You've got a big a$$ garage!

calredneck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kerch
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yes do it

TFerguson

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
350 (5.7)
I'll pile on too. Here's where my hard top lives in the warmer months. Just barely clears the garage door, but it works! Not visible in the pic, but I use an el-cheapo boat trailer hand winch bolted to the wall on the far left. I just pull the truck in, stick the 2x4's under the top (after un-bolting), then crank her up. The yellow ratchet straps are just to get the extra couple inches to clear the door, and also some peace of mind that it won't crush the girlfriend's Subaru.
You must be registered for see images attach

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
@RecklessWOT and I suppose you think this just looks like a car with the doors ripped off. Lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-06-12_142219.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-06-12_142219.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 40

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I don't know how anyone could do it alone w/ out a hoist. I used to do the crab walk thing with it on my back to the edge and then 3 to lift it off. They are heavy.

If you do decide to remove the doors...drill a hole 3/16ths(???) through each hinge the diameter of a framing nail before removal. Makes it fairly easy to align when reinstalling.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
@RecklessWOT and I suppose you think this just looks like a car with the doors ripped off. Lol
Yep, looks like a proper meth-head special to me...

Awful vehicle, and in awful shape too. Unless being prepared for a demo derby, please explain why this vehicle exists in such a condition...

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Yep, looks like a proper meth-head special to me...

Awful vehicle, and in awful shape too. Unless being prepared for a demo derby, please explain why this vehicle exists in such a condition...
I don't remember the story on it,but had to save that pic.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I'm curious how you intend to do it also. The plan in my head involves a boat hand crank too, I believe that is a solid idea. I have a buddy that built a simple u frame that stands in his driveway. He opens the windows and attaches a ratchet strap with metal J hooks in the open window frames. Cranks on the boat winch and voila! Does it by himself and he weighs almost 300 pounds. Says the top weighs about 200. 175?
Lifts the top and drives out, then lowers the top to the ground.

Whatever you do, use caution ok? Don't get hurt.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm curious how you intend to do it also. The plan in my head involves a boat hand crank too, I believe that is a solid idea. I have a buddy that built a simple u frame that stands in his driveway. He opens the windows and attaches a ratchet strap with metal J hooks in the open window frames. Cranks on the boat winch and voila! Does it by himself and he weighs almost 300 pounds. Says the top weighs about 200. 175?
Lifts the top and drives out, then lowers the top to the ground.

Whatever you do, use caution ok? Don't get hurt.
I haven't got that far yet, but will probably do something similar. It rained a lot last week and more forecast for this wee, so I haven't got too motivated yet.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
LoL. I drive by his house all the time, maybe he wouldn't mind letting me snag some pics if you are interested.
I am not too keen on the way he attaches to it, with the J hooks, it appears to tweak the sliding window frames but he doesn't seem to mind.
Since it IS mostly fiberglass, I figured that bolting four eyelets through the top was a good idea but that would complicate the hoisting further.
This is the second Blazer I've owned and I've never taken the top off of one.
Having a removable top is not a sell point for me, I have very little interest in it.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
My FIL built a neat cable and pulley system to remove the tonneau cover from his truck. I would get pics of it but it's a three-day drive one way to get there.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Before my brother married her, my not yet SIL had a license plate frame on her 5.0 Mustang convertible that said "YOU SHOULD SEE ME TOPLESS"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising