shorting frame

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seim55

Reaction score
First Name
shannon
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Does anyone know someone that will cut and weld my frame back together in Richmond Virginia want to go from a long bed to a short bed

roving4s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
xxxx
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Why not bob your bed ?

seim55

Reaction score
First Name
shannon
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
bed

Have new short bed ready to go just want frame done so I can start driving it

roving4s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
xxxx
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
You could also move the spring mounts, shorten the drive shaft. Then trim off the the frame behind the shackle mount. I'd box the frame in after you do that, just across the frame where you cut it off.

Doing it that way, you don't have to cut the frame in half.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
^ that really won't work due to the way it kicks up slightly over the axle. An the bed wouldn't sit back down right either.

You must be registered for see images attach

Just look for a mobile welding service or a place that builds wreckers an ramp trucks. I guy I used to work with that ran a mobile welding service on the side put mine back together for me...

Last edited:

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
I could take care of it if you were in Houston. But if it helps, you need to cut 14" out of the frame in FRONT of the front spring hanger, and cut 4" out of the back of the frame.

When you make your cuts, do NOT cut straight down the frame, cut at angle in 2 spots of each side of the frame in front of the hanger.

Make sure you scribe reference lines down the frame before and after the cut lines, that way you have an accurate meins of keeping everything square when you weld it back togather.

Also keep in mind when shortening the frame you will need to use 16 gallon fuel tanks, your 20 gallon tanks will no longer fit.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
The parking brake cables will also be to long an the rear brake line as well....

Mine has been straight cut for almost 10 yrs now with no cracking or sagging. If done right there's nothing wrong with a straight cut....

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Mine has been straight cut for almost 10 yrs now with no cracking or sagging. If done right there's nothing wrong with a straight cut....

I agree with that. I can see how a diagonal or zig-zag type splice could potentially be stronger, but these are flimsy c-channel frames and something is going to bend before a good weld comes apart.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
good info to know, seems much easier to cut it straight and weld, then plate and weld.

what's one of the mobile services run to do such a thing?

If nothing else maybe find a machine or welding shop and tow her down there and get it done.

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
my crew cab cut to a short bed

Attachments

• cut line.jpg
    cut line.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 192
  • frame.jpg
    frame.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 190
  • weld.jpg
    weld.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 180
  • securedownload.jpg
    securedownload.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
good info to know, seems much easier to cut it straight and weld, then plate and weld.

what's one of the mobile services run to do such a thing?

If nothing else maybe find a machine or welding shop and tow her down there and get it done.

Ya he welded mine front an back of the cut, ground the inside down so the plate would sit flat an then welded all around the plate. I had plates for the outside to but he said they weren't necessary.

Like I said he was a Coworker at the time an wouldn't give me a price. He told me to pay him what I thought it was worth. I think all total he was there almost 2 hrs an I had to pretty much make him take $60....

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
awesome.

it's easy to find a long bed here and cheap and most in decent shape, but short beds, forget it. I always figured if I buy one I'll just cut it down and find or buy a short bed for it. I have access to a good lincoln 220 arc welder, but nobody to use it lol. I've not welded much myself and the owner never really has either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe