She's got the shakes, need help locating the cause.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WoodzLegit

Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Turt, i just joined sqbods this minute after stumbling across your thread here while i was searching for a fix my own k10 help, mb i can help u along my way..
1st, i think u got a few problems going on at once, all contributing to an overall "deathrattle" shaking your daily apart. so isolate and prioritize the separate issues, and eat the elephant 1 bite at a time.
Starting with, yes you do have driveline issues. replace all 4 u-joints if you can, but at least both ends of your rear driveline. they are shot. Check the x-member bolts from the tcase x-member to frame. search howto set your kickdown and do it. does vacmod actuate under vacuum? is vac line from intake to vac can wet (from atf?)? are u using correct pcv for application? is vac line to brake booster wet (from dot3)? for sure replace exhaust gaskets. maybe double thick if running cheap headers. but def fix any exhaust leaks, use right length bolts. on your broken bolt for tcase brace, some1 alrdy gave u spot on info re: welding, tapping, etc...
get some of that stuff squared away and see if alot of the shaking dont stop. good luck dude

You must be registered for see images attach

WoodzLegit

Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
i think your tcase is likely to be ok, but its a 208. a chain-drive pos imo. i replaced the entire stock th350/208/autohub setup with a np465 4-spd/np205 tcase w/manual hubs in my k10. you running a k20, food for thoughts...

WoodzLegit

Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I use AC Delco R45TS spark plugs @1,200 feet.
elephant hunting from a helicopter? i use an old corvette dizz w/ tach drive at ground level. i dont kill em, just count coup lol
catch n release safari style?

WoodzLegit

Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
anyways turt, once all or most of those probs are fixed, the next "layer" of them oughta be more distinct, ez'r to pinpoint. 1st, make sure your firing order is 18436572, with #1 on cap pointing to thermostat(+/-) then 8,4,3,etc clockwise. yes on replacing plugs, i like basic old autolite peanut plugs, r44-r45's with biggish .050-.060" gap, stockish HEI.
next, i'd be checking your valvetrain for issues. replace the timing set if you can; for sure if it has cheap nylon gears and flatlink chain. the "tru-roller" perf sets w/3 keyways are worth the 30ish bucks the ask. i bet u got mb a couple bent pushrods, a weak or broken valve spring, or 1 or 2 broken rocker arms. mb a bad lifter.. at least a check n set of your valve lash...then, figure out any carb issues. start looking at your suspension/steering around now, but your bowtie should be getting noticebly better. yea? nay?

Turt13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Took her out of town today, just to see.
She sounded great, mostly, with the header gasket replaced. Unfortunately I think they ain't gonna cut it, cuz p.o. has some cheap/homemade headers, and they are for sure not even close to being flat. My luck. By time we went oh about 30 miles, we stopped for a couple hrs. On the way back, I could hear that Damn loud Ass exhaust leak.
She seemed to have less power, as well, but we were fighting the wind.
So, for once I drove back. Which, is sketchy at best with my record and having my licence suspended.
What I noticed: she's guzzling gas, way more then she should.
When stepping to when the kickdown engages, t ranny slips. I think
She'll rap out until you let off the throttle, but that's only from 2nd to first I tried it in.
She has no power, she doesnt pull either way, while braking, no throttle or any amount of throttle. Stays straight, ish. but rather like she's dragging something.
She hardly goes anywhere, and it takes way more throttle then I remember her needing to.
It's Like the drive line is dragging something.
She shifts great, as long as kickdown isn't involved.
She still shakes, especially in the lower rpm. Highway speeds you can hardly notice any vibrations.
She idles decent, slight shake. Thinking that may be plugs or something, Idk.last I checked they were trashed. Haven't cared much to clean em again, losing hope/motivation to even touch the truck.
Oh and if you put her into neutral, and rev it, while rolling, it feels as if she's still wanting to go ever so slightly,. Like she's still 1/8 of the way or less in gear.
She was running great, like amazing, better then she ever had, a couple weeks ago. And then all of a sudden, literally over night, all these symptoms. Shakes, no power, guzzling gas, weird kick down/shifting, etc. I can't find anything visually out of place anywhere, or any leaks to speak of. Well besides a little oil from somewhere by the starter. All fluids are decent, firing order in order, checked 15 times, can't find any vacuum leaks, but didn't do Jack **** to her today. Lady is getting on me to take a couple days off the truck. Which would be great, as long as the truck doesn't blow up.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Dude.

:whymewhyme::throw:

:think:

Y U NO HAZ PIX?

Srsly guy. Go ahead and write a book .

Scrolled down lookin for pix of a 4x4:sawzall:
No pix.
Tl;dr
Dude writes a novel but i'll tell ya what, aint nobody readin that **** without no pix.

U pay first then ask question! :mad:
:rape:
Turt the Hurt! :ehcapt:

I know I’m new here, but the OP seems pretty desperate to get his truck up and running and this ^ is a dick post!
Btw only been here a week, recall seeing a pic of it. And why would you need pics of a beat up old truck to offer help anyways??

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
OP, don’t blame me for reading too much into your situation, not judging you, but with the multitude of issues with your truck and your lack of finances and lack of another car to drive, the last thing you need is a big heavy oily ill tempered 4x4 truck that gets jack for fuel Mileage, literally won’t be really repaired right without some serious time, $ and wrenching on it.
I’m a pretty good shade tree mechanic and I can’t even follow the littany of issues and potential issues this truck has.
IMO best thing to do is search for the cheapest good running Vehicle and sell/trade the truck and whatever else you can for it. Whether it’s a Buick , Honda Accord or friggin Kia, doesn’t matter. 4 wheels and runs good is what you’re after.
Basically start fresh with something that at least has the
potential to not have 10 different issues stacked up.
I’ve been there done that and finding something that actually runs right and gets more than 10mpg is the right decision for your situation.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I know I’m new here, but the OP seems pretty desperate to get his truck up and running and this ^ is a dick post!
Btw only been here a week, recall seeing a pic of it. And why would you need pics of a beat up old truck to offer help anyways??
That’s Rusty. He’s a fast talking SOB. I hear his voice like an old Jazz bar poet reader dissing the Government. ( with background people snapping their fingers and hissing. )But overall he’s alright. But can get hard to follow. HOWEVER, pics of the project is considered legal tender here. You gotta put out or get out. LOL.
People would help regardless but we are picture ******.

Turt13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Basically start fresh with something that at least has the
potential to not have 10 different issues stacked up.
I’ve been there done that and finding something that actually runs right and gets more than 10mpg is the right decision for your situation.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Unfortunate circumstances led me to rely on my back-burner project.
Not even my main project.
I did mention washing my hands of her, I mean Damn.
I like challenges and the truck, hate to see it go, but as of rn. She isn't what I need, I put a for sale sign in her this morning actually, bought it actually while at the part store.
Ironic, imo.
I am gonna eat a loss on this one, and 3 vehicles in 6 months hurts for real.
Well see what I can get offered, right price it'll go.
I got offerd two bikes in sound condition, I'm almost healed. I've been wanting a bike. Lady and I had a deal that I could get one if she got one. It's tempting.
By winter ill have my real daily back on the road. An 87 e30. I have parts sitting on the couch back home actually. Actually...We were getting the last part for it that It needed when we wrecked my other e30. The 91 325i, that was my first real moddified build I've done.

But I need to use her one for last run to snag my last and first project, my 84-85 rx7 from a field, and take it home.
Maybe i can borrow a truck.

So, Best offer takes her, lots of recent work, literally a pinch from bbeing ight.
In the mean time, I can't not try to fix it. It's a daily, and it's hard to sell broken ****.
U joints and plugs inn a week, hope that'll do to get her sold.

Turt13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
been cleaning lately. I'll try Nd find what she looked like when I bought it. Rough.

PCv, those plugs in the exhaust, wires, plugs, water pump, alternator, battery, distributor cap, oil change and filter, air filter, fuel filter, exhaust gaskets, valve cover gaskets x2 sets, valve cover load-clamps, a little wiring for bat to starter and to alt. In last 5k miles at most, Maybe more, idk. That's just under the hood and what I've done. I may be wrong but my #1 wire may not be in the right spot looking at these pics...I checked that 3 times. Smh.
what's that thing that's behind the radiator hose, has two wires to it.
the longer you look at these pics the worse it gets.

What's that thing with the hose connected to its self? Vacuum port?

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
The dealy in the thermostat housing is called a "thermostatic vacuum switch'' ,or TVS , and was connected to the EFE valve in the passenger side exhaust and the original "thermostatic" air cleaner.

Turt13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

Oh yeah Header bolts. Heater core.
diff vent was torn, and she sucked in some mud. The oil is nasty, but I fixed the leak finally. For now. Her vent was plugged cuz it torn and was to short. Here you see my handy work. Rtv minus the bolt where bolt is stripped out. And my anchoring for the vent because I didn't have a drill.
It works.

Oh yeah, reason for spitting gear oil out was because of the pressure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69