Shaking While Stopping??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
as skysurfer said check your front rotor run out. you can't do this by eye. so I see you have a bad ball joint that could be it also check all your front end components. highdesertranger

gearheadmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra K2500
Engine Size
Yea I'm going to be replacing some front end parts soon ball joints u-joints locking hubs and while I'm at it I might press the hubs & studs and have the rotors turned at local machine shop. The calipers and pads are practically new still.

gearheadmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra K2500
Engine Size
Ugh still got the damn shake has new front upper/lower ball joints reapacked wheel bearings new spindle bearings checked tie rod ends put new rear wheel cylinders in. The kfront brake pads like new the calipers where replaced befor I got it and work good. Rear shoes still looks to have lots of life in them. This is driving me nuts

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I had both rear drums turned on mine last week. One was warped bad. Rrplaced it with a new one. Shaking hopping and vibrating is gone

gearheadmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra K2500
Engine Size
Yea I think that's my next step local machine shop told me $15 a drum to turn them. Hope that works

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Or you could go to an auto parts store that does them free. Oreillys did mine free

gearheadmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra K2500
Engine Size
Yea the only parts store around my area is advance auto and auto zone.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Call them before you pay. Pretty sure at least one of them turns rotors

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Sounds like the source of the vibration has not yet been identified - correct?

All stationary driveline components (axle tubes, transmission housing, transfer case, etc.) have been inspected and found to be securely mounted to the frame - correct?

Rotating elements of the driveline (driveshafts, axle shafts, gear sets, etc.) are in good shape, properly balanced and correctly indexed. U-joints are tight and any splined joints can move freely in the axial direction. IMPORTANT - Any bearings that support the rotating elements of the driveline have no excessive play. Correct?

Rims and tires are balanced and also have no "run-out" or "out of round" issues. Right?

I only ask these questions because - a vibration that occurs only during braking is generally blamed on ... the brakes. But sometimes the root cause is actually due to a seemingly unrelated component.

But, at this point - having checked/replaced any other possibilities - it sounds like you are confident that this vibration is definitely brake related.

If truing the drums up does not have any effect, and yet you still are fairly sure it is the brakes; try this to isolate whether it is the front or rear brakes. It won't tell you exactly what is wrong but will allow you to concentrate your efforts on one braking system.

This is not for the faint of heart - especially given the speed at which you are experiencing the shaking:

Before you do this test be sure your e-brakes are in perfect working order. Also, check that when they are operated, braking effect is applied equally and simultaneously to both drums.

Find a stretch of road that is not busy, and bring your truck up to the speed at which the vibration normally occurs.

Activate the e-brakes. You don't need to crank down on them to get a good result from this test. Just apply them enough to feel them gently engage the drums.

This exercise will isolate the rear brakes from the fronts. The same components in the rears will do the braking just as would be true if the brake pedal was used.

But, since they are not activated by the e-brake system, the front brakes will not be part of the test.

I'm sure you can see where this is going. If, when using only the rear (e-brakes), the abnormal vibration is still present...the problem lies in the rear brakes.

And, conversely, if there is no vibration using just the e-brakes...you can cross off the entire rear brake system as the cause, and concentrate only on the front brakes as the source of the problem.

89_3&3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Have you had a wheel alignment done

gearheadmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra K2500
Engine Size
Well I still have some issues to fix like parking brake cables have drums turned I'm going to get new rear brake adjuster kit. I've never had it Alined as I only had it for a few months now. But when driving down the road it goes stright and no left/right vibrations in steering wheel at high way speeds or when braking. I a actually pulled the box off yesterday to fix the box headder panel so while it's of I'm going to work on rear brakes while I got all the room now.

Affende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Affende
Truck Year
83 and 84
Truck Model
C1500 and K3500 3+3
Engine Size
250 and 454
Simple question that i havent seen asked ...

WHERE do you feel the vibration?

Do you feel the vibration in the pedal, in the steering wheel, or in your seat?

If its in the steering wheel, and i know this is uncommon, check your control arm bushings ... specifically the rear most bushings on the lower control arms / A arms.

I know it might sound crazy, and im not a big member here, but i have first hand experience with those causing an issue that sounds eerily similar to yours at the same speeds under the same circumstances.

worth a try.

gearheadmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra K2500
Engine Size
It feels between cab and box and my truck doesn't have a arms just steering knuckles and I've replaced ball joints allready also the cab mounts are good and box is secured down.

Affende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Affende
Truck Year
83 and 84
Truck Model
C1500 and K3500 3+3
Engine Size
250 and 454
It feels between cab and box and my truck doesn't have a arms just steering knuckles and I've replaced ball joints allready also the cab mounts are good and box is secured down.

well ... i could have looked at your info and seen K2500 :emotions33:

my bad

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD