Shaking While Stopping??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gearheadmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra K2500
Engine Size
Ok I've been driving my truck I got about a month ago and I noticed while coming to a stop applying brakes at say 45-50 mph the truck starts to shake wth? It doesn't seem to do it when I first drive it it seems when the parts warm up it starts. There's no pulling in the steering wheel and I can only feel little in the brake peddle it seems to shake most between cab/box. Trucks not rusted and no broken frame lol.
It's a 86 gmc Sierra k2500 8ft box

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hope you find out. Mine does it too. Mostly at 50 mph up.

I have a brand new booster, master cylinder, proportioning valve, and completely new fluid.

Then last friday night I replaced front pads. Rotors looked fine. Didnt check rears I don't think. But truck still does it. Like a shake/vibration...annoying

85 c20

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Might be your tie rod ends, or your drag link ends. If one goes bad, it'll take out the rest with all that shaking. It'll eventually become death wobble.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Are the rear brake components tight and are the shoes installed correctly.

If the leading and lagging shoes are installed backwards, the shoes will grab and skip along the ID of the drum. The whole truck shudders and the rear end hops up and down.

My previous truck had this problem (same as yours - 86 Sierra Classic 3/4 ton). Kind of felt like an ABS system on steroids. At certain times, when the brakes were applied, the whole truck would shudder and bounce. It was real bad.

It got to the point where I had to figure it out. Long story short - whenever I changed rear brake shoes, I just replicated what the first owner had done. It was done wrong - he had the lead and lags reversed.

Once they were corrected, the truck braked smoothly - never did the bunny hop thing again.

The following is from a GM advisory on fundamental brake problems to their dealer technicians (this is the section that pertains to grabbing):

REAR DRUM BRAKES

Causes:

You must be registered for see images attach

•Shoes/Linings incorrectly installed. Each side should have a leading and trailing shoe. The lining surface on the trailing shoe will be slightly larger than the lining surface on the leading shoe. The trailing shoes should be installed in the rear position on each side, while the leading shoes are installed in the front position on each side. If the shoe positions are reversed, the braking performance will be very grabby and prone to wheel lockup.

•Brake linings contaminated with brake fluid or gear oil.

•Incorrect shoe size or type.

•Loose or broken brake lining.

•Brake shoe adjustment too tight or too loose.

•Weak or broken return springs.

What to Check For:

•Look for the following common mistakes:

•Leading and trailing shoes are reversed.

•Both leading shoes are installed on one side while both trailing shoes are installed on the other side.

•Inspect the wheel cylinders for signs of leakage or sticking, replace or rebuild as necessary.

•Inspect the axle seals for signs of leakage. Gear oil leaking from the axle seal will usually be indicated by a spray pattern starting at the center of the drum and spreading outwards. If any signs of gear oil leakage are found, the shoes and seal should be replaced.
NOTE: Leakage at the axle seals is often caused by worn wheel bearings. If the vehicle has high mileage, it is recommended to replace the wheel bearing along with the axle seal.

•Inspect all brake springs and replace if any appear worn or distorted.
•Inspect shoes for correct fit with drum and backing-plate.
•Inspect brake lining for cracks, missing pieces or poor bonding to shoes.
•Check for proper adjustment, readjust as necessary.

Last edited:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Is the load compensator (height sensing valve) still in the rear hydraulic circuit?

This:

If so you might consider removing/bypassing it.

In 1987 GM issued a TSB on the subject that begins like this:

THIS BULLETIN IS A REVISION OF TRUCK SERVICE BULLETIN 85-B-79, DATED MAY, 1985, UPDATING FOR MODEL YEARS 1984-1988.
1984-1986 C/K 3500 and 1987-1988 R/V 3500 series trucks are equipped with a rear suspension height sensing device that optimizes the brake proportioning valve setting for the load the vehicle is carrying. The height sensing system adjusts the brake balance in vehicles subjected to a range of loading conditions. Occasionally, vehicle modifications by body builders or owners influence the height sensing device. If a vehicle has had rear suspension modifications that affect its trim height or the spring rate, and the driver comments about the brake modulation characteristics of the vehicle, it is recommended that the height sensing system be removed and the brake system be revised as described below.

The whole story:

gearheadmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra K2500
Engine Size
I'll have to check and see if it's still on there and if not I'll have to pull one of the rear wheel and drum off to check rear brakes.

gearheadmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra K2500
Engine Size
So I went out and checked and there's no height sensing valve on it just a standard t block.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I would be more concerned with the proper installation of the brake shoes. The load sensing valve was a secondary suggestion.

gearheadmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra K2500
Engine Size
I got the rear drums off is the larger shoe suppose to face the rear or the front of the truck? I dont usally work on rear brakes alot.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
The shoe with the lining that doesn't rise up as far goes in the front. You have to look closely, the difference is subtle. These images show the LH (drivers side) brake:

gearheadmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra K2500
Engine Size
The shoe with the less lining is facing the front so , so far the passenger side is on right I noticed after pulling the drum off I got a small puddle on that bar below the wheel cyc so I'm going to go buy 2 new wheel cyc and replace those while I have it apart.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
What to Check For:

•Look for the following common mistakes:

•Leading and trailing shoes are reversed.

•Both leading shoes are installed on one side while both trailing shoes are installed on the other side.

•Inspect the wheel cylinders for signs of leakage or sticking, replace or rebuild as necessary.

gearheadmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra K2500
Engine Size
Well checked the rear brakes out and replaced the wheel cyc and serviced the brake adjusters. Yet to test drive it to see if I still have the shaking. On another note I now need to replace the pass side front ball joint ugh

gearheadmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra K2500
Engine Size
So after a test drive the truck is still having a shake when slowing to a stop at or above 50mph I have checked front brakes pulled and lubed the caliper pins and brake pad slides.
Put new rear wheel cyl in and backed off the rear brakes just a little. Idk WTH is causing this lol. I'm not sure if a bad ball joint could be the cause or not it feels more in between the cab/box.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD