Shake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hi,
So i an have 83 k10 with a 350 in it, 4 inch lift (Blocks in the rear, springs in the front), 33's, and recently have notcied a kinda bad shake
Before i explain, not u joints as far as i can tell, had them replaced about 3k miles ago, and driveshaft is wicked tight, it doesnt budge when you twist it

so, its not constant, it'll happen like half the time, not all the time, but it happens quite a bit.
Doesnt really matter the speed, doesnt do it in neutral if you just rev it, seems to do it anywhere from like 15-25 35-whatever, but probably does it from 15 up just havent had it happen going around 30 yet
Doesn't really happen when accelerating, happens most when cruising and sometimes more often decelerating.
The truck itself, and me feel a shaking motion, i cant tell if it shakes you up or down or if its going forward then backwards. But its like driving down a rockyish gravel road with ****** suspension, that kind of motion except its more slower, not a wicked fast vibration, but might be relative to when the tire spins, i cant tell as i havent been able to see it and know how fast the tires turn around.

Noticed today both front tires have more wear on the outsides than the inside, its sloped from like half tread gradually to nearly brand new tread
Never really looked at them for that before, bought the truck a few months ago with them on it, havent touched them

What could it be?
Thanks!

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My guess is that you lost a wheel weight. Are you running radial tires or are the belted? You also need an alignment and to rotate those tires if you want to save them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Jack the front end up and check for play in the ball joints/wheel bearings.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Alright, ill do that, and where are the wheel weights/how can i tell if ones missing?
In the middle of a huge snowstorm so ill do it in a couple days..
As for the tires, they dont say radial on the side. but other than that i have no clue, theyre mastercraft all terrains.
And, as for rotating, just put the fronts on the back and the backs on the front?
But what would cause that wear, anything i should adress or just leave it? EDIT: Oh, right, and alignment i read after typing this

Thanks!

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
See if it's related to power transmission.

When it hits (and traffic conditions permit), quickly let off the gas and shift into neutral.

If the truck then rolls along smoothly - it's a safe bet that the problem is with the drive train.

If there is no change in the vibration when the drive train is no longer engaged - assume a problem at the wheel/hub level.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I don't have a pic of a wheel weight at the moment. Little lead weights on the edge of the wheel where the tire meets the wheel. Give it a Google and you will see what I'm talking about. If you lost any it will cause a vibration/shake. If your running all terrains they are probably radials so no need to worry about a broken belt. Do the Transmission test Chengny recommended first, then we will go from there.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I don't have a pic of a wheel weight at the moment. Little lead weights on the edge of the wheel where the tire meets the wheel. Give it a Google and you will see what I'm talking about. If you lost any it will cause a vibration/shake. If your running all terrains they are probably radials so no need to worry about a broken belt. Do the Transmission test Chengny recommended first, then we will go from there.

See if it's related to power transmission.

When it hits (and traffic conditions permit), quickly let off the gas and shift into neutral.

If the truck then rolls along smoothly - it's a safe bet that the problem is with the drive train.

If there is no change in the vibration when the drive train is no longer engaged - assume a problem at the wheel/hub level.

Alright, ill try it, just the problem i always have is that it has a bit of free play with the shifter on the column, and its not exactly easy to just shift into neutral, you have to put enough force behind it to shift it that it feels like it could skip right past nuetral into reverse
What would accidentally shifting into reverse going like 40 do?

Thanks!

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size

Oh, and, how can i tell if i've lost a wheel weight? How can i tell how many there were supposed to be in the first place, and know if im missing one?

Thanks!

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Oh, and, how can i tell if i've lost a wheel weight? How can i tell how many there were supposed to be in the first place, and know if im missing one?

Thanks!

You won't be able to tell unless you go get your tires balanced again. I doubt that's your problem. Do the trans test and see what happens. If your tires are wearing as bad as you say, you have something wrong but I doubt it's related to your shimmy.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
You won't be able to tell unless you go get your tires balanced again. I doubt that's your problem. Do the trans test and see what happens. If your tires are wearing as bad as you say, you have something wrong but I doubt it's related to your shimmy.

I'll do that trans test, just havent been able to with this weather, but how would that effect how my front tires are wearing? I'd assume its something in the suspension up front, not with the transmission

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'll do that trans test, just havent been able to with this weather, but how would that effect how my front tires are wearing? I'd assume its something in the suspension up front, not with the transmission

I think your shimmy problem is unrelated to your tire wear. I think that checking the pressure in your tires, getting an alignment and rotating them you will be OK. Do the trans test first. Then we will figure out where to go after that.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7

You should not be able to do this inadvertently. To move the transmission into reverse, you have to pull back on the selector lever (towards yourself) as well as push it over to the R position.

But if you did this on purpose, the engine might stall and the transmission would basically act as if you had shifted it to neutral.

When your transmission doesn't know any better, selecting reverse during forward driving is still less exciting than you might imagine.

"If the transmission was not designed with a reverse inhibit feature, engaging reverse while driving forward will, most likely, stall the engine. The car won't lock-up or skid, but it will slow down a bit and act like the transmission is in neutral."

Practice this maneuver a few times with the truck at a standstill - you'll quickly gain confidence that it won't easily skip by neutral and into reverse.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I think your shimmy problem is unrelated to your tire wear. I think that checking the pressure in your tires, getting an alignment and rotating them you will be OK. Do the trans test first. Then we will figure out where to go after that.

You should not be able to do this inadvertently. To move the transmission into reverse, you have to pull back on the selector lever (towards yourself) as well as push it over to the R position.

But if you did this on purpose, the engine might stall and the transmission would basically act as if you had shifted it to neutral.

When your transmission doesn't know any better, selecting reverse during forward driving is still less exciting than you might imagine.

"If the transmission was not designed with a reverse inhibit feature, engaging reverse while driving forward will, most likely, stall the engine. The car won't lock-up or skid, but it will slow down a bit and act like the transmission is in neutral."

Yea really i was just scared about it, but i did it fine, thanks!

Shake is still most deffinataly there even when in neutral, so where to go from here?
And, when i get a chance im bringing it in for an alignment and will have the guy rotate the tires as well

Thanks!

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yea really i was just scared about it, but i did it fine, thanks!

Shake is still most deffinataly there even when in neutral, so where to go from here?
And, when i get a chance im bringing it in for an alignment and will have the guy rotate the tires as well

Thanks!

While the truck is on jacks, check the wheels for play in the ball joints/wheel bearings. You certainly don't want a wheel bearing to fail while shagging down the road at 65mph.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kipps5000