Shake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Before you take it to a shop and pay good money - lift the tires one at a time and check them for an out-of-round condition.

Using a stable reference point - like a jack stand placed so that the support plate is very near to the tire - slowly spin them by hand. Watch the gap between your reference point and the tire tread as it passes by. Any change greater than 1/4" in that gap indicates that he tire has internal damage and is no longer round.

Also, while you have each tire off the ground for inspection, do as Zach says and check for excessive bearing play (this would pertain to the fronts mostly). Get down low, grasp the tire in both hands and (without making the steering linkage move) rock it by pushing on the left/right and also on the top/bottom. You should feel essentially no free motion. If the outer edges of the tire can be seen to move more than 1/4", you should tighten your front wheel bearings.

The thing about loose wheel bearings is - that condition doesn't usually cause a shimmy/vibration. The general result of loose/worn front bearings is looseness in the steering which makes the truck want to drift at higher speeds. In others words, it makes you need to constantly steer the truck. So, if you look away for even a brief time - when you look back, you can be halfway into the next lane.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
While the truck is on jacks, check the wheels for play in the ball joints/wheel bearings. You certainly don't want a wheel bearing to fail while shagging down the road at 65mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did this today, not really any movement, you can feel it move on the drivers side yet cant see it go back and forth. Both sides have a sound when you spin the wheels, but i just sounds like the brakes, the drivers side has a little clicking kind of sound too, not much though.

Jus i think the drivers side is making noise when driving as far as i can tell.. wheel bearing im assuming. Could the wheel bearing cause a shake?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kipps5000