Scrapping Truck -- Parts To Keep?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KCKKen

Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
1985/1978
Truck Model
1500/C20
Engine Size
350/350
Hi Everyone!

Finally got the 1985 GMC parts truck over to the house to start dismantling it -- a friend of mine is going to use the bed/chassis for a trailer (cab is toast, way too much rust). While I don't want to save every nut and bolt (don't have _that_ much room) I do want to save parts that might save me some bucks down the road, or parts that might be of value to someone else.

The truck was originally a V-6 with a TH-400 (previous discussion), I know I'm keeping the following:
Engine
Transmission
Radiator Mount/Front Fender Mount
Rear Axle (swapping it to my project truck)
2-Piece Driveshaft Assembly
Wheels (spares for my project truck)
Shell
Washer reservoir/pump
Wiper Motor
Sliding Rear Window

The truck doesn't have very many options (no power windows/door locks, no cruise, no special radio), so not sure what else is worth keeping. Once they cut the front suspension off I may check the brake rotors and see if they're salvageable, I think the calipers are stuck so they might not be even good for cores.

If there are any items people are looking for please let me know, but otherwise what's worth holding on to?

Take Care,
KS
Kansas City, KS

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
I know you were being facetious about the nuts and bolts, but factory hardware is somewhat unique and it's a good idea to keep as much of it as you can.

Also, trim pieces, grille, headlight doors, rain gutters, glove box, ashtray etc. All those bits that you'll be hunting for later.

1STLS1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MIchael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Having dismantled a couple trucks, I have found that all the things I thought were worth saving cost me more to store and move around than if I just would have purchase it when I actually needed it. Brake parts, due to what they actually do and how I value my safety, I just buy new. Same with front suspension parts. Anything body parts with any rust get scrapped. If an engine or transmission is obviously a good one, it gets discounted to a sure to sell place just so I don't have that greasy chunk of metal stuck in my garage for the next 5 years until I find a use for it.

I put an ad in the local Craigslist, what ever sells, sells, I grab what I need and scrap the rest

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
AC controls, If the dash has not been cut for a single DIN radio I would cut that out and keep it.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Kcks! we are neighbors kind of. Maybe interested in the manual doors and a good windshield.

oldretiredafguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1988, 1988, 1991, 1983
Truck Model
GMC V-Jimmy, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC-2500 CrewCab
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350
I'll take the TH400, if it hasn't been previously spoken for (If you're not planning on using it on some future project).

"Have truck, Will Travel"

Last edited:

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Hi Everyone!

Finally got the 1985 GMC parts truck over to the house to start dismantling it -- a friend of mine is going to use the bed/chassis for a trailer (cab is toast, way too much rust). While I don't want to save every nut and bolt (don't have _that_ much room) I do want to save parts that might save me some bucks down the road, or parts that might be of value to someone else.

The truck was originally a V-6 with a TH-400 (previous discussion), I know I'm keeping the following:
Engine
Transmission
Radiator Mount/Front Fender Mount
Rear Axle (swapping it to my project truck)
2-Piece Driveshaft Assembly
Wheels (spares for my project truck)
Shell
Washer reservoir/pump
Wiper Motor
Sliding Rear Window

The truck doesn't have very many options (no power windows/door locks, no cruise, no special radio), so not sure what else is worth keeping. Once they cut the front suspension off I may check the brake rotors and see if they're salvageable, I think the calipers are stuck so they might not be even good for cores.

If there are any items people are looking for please let me know, but otherwise what's worth holding on to?

Take Care,
KS
Kansas City, KS
Being a GMC, all the GMC specific parts are hard to come by and not reproduced like chevy parts. Grill, fender emblems, dash badge, horn cover, tailgate trim if there is any.
Id be interetested in all that too if you do have it.

Another thing I'd save is the gauge cluster amd bezel. Theyre always in demand and useful.
Trim strips, cab trim, gutter rails, grill trim, headlight bezels, parking lamps. Things that break or get messed up easy.
Door panels if they're good. Mirrors are always good, the always sell easy and quick.
If its a low trim level, id love to have the plactic parking lamp and headight bezels, if good.

Juggernaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
As I have been putting my truck back together, I've found there's been a number of "little things" that are not being reproduced that I wish I had kept from my doner trucks. My suggestion would be, if you can find a spot, keep it until you are done with your project. Then sell or trash what's left over.

peats

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
72k5, 81c10 short step, 83k10 short fleet, 03 SSR. 25 chevy doodlebug
Truck Model
k5 c10 k10 SSR doodlebug
Engine Size
406 360 6.2 5.3 171
Non AC dash pad inserts can be hard to find. Cut the speed nuts off with a dremel. Twisting will just shear the plastic studs.

peats

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
72k5, 81c10 short step, 83k10 short fleet, 03 SSR. 25 chevy doodlebug
Truck Model
k5 c10 k10 SSR doodlebug
Engine Size
406 360 6.2 5.3 171
I would also keep the auto cross member.

tobiahr

Reaction score
First Name
Tobiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer 2wd
Engine Size
L59 5.3 swap
I would also keep the auto cross member.
Really? I have one of those with all the hardware (those 1 inch spacers) that I couldn't give away here in Houston/Austin.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
Being a GMC, all the GMC specific parts are hard to come by and not reproduced like chevy parts.

Keep the entire steering column. There's lots of parts/switches that can be used as future replacements. And there's no need to disassemble it beyond removing it from the truck. Prop it somewhere out of the way and it will come in handy.

A friend just asked me for a smaller '88+ style steering wheel last week. He recently got a crusty plow truck, and it has the factory steering wheel on it.

It rubs his belly when he's driving, so he wanted the '88+ style steering wheel to fix that problem.

Edited to correct my steering wheel references.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texdave