Scrapping Truck -- Parts To Keep?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Apples to apples Chevy and GMC steering wheels are different diameter? Seems unlikely.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
GMC steering wheel is a good example (at least I don't think they're reproduced).

Keep the entire steering column. There's lots of parts/switches that can be used as future replacements. And there's no need to disassemble it beyond removing it from the truck. Prop it somewhere out of the way and it will come in handy.

A friend just asked me for a GMC steering wheel last week. He recently got a crusty plow truck, and it has the slightly larger Chevrolet steering wheel on it.

It rubs his belly when he's driving, so he wanted the GMC steering wheel to fix that problem.
I did not know the came in different sizes, new news to me.
I was referring to the horn button being hard to find

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
It rubs his belly when he's driving, so he wanted the GMC steering wheel to fix that problem.
Two ways to solve that problem, one is obvious, the other is to have the column rebuilt and shortened at the same time. I think Squarebody trucks can be shortened up to 4 inches.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
Two ways to solve that problem, one is obvious, the other is to have the column rebuilt and shortened at the same time. I think Squarebody trucks can be shortened up to 4 inches.
I've never heard of shortening a steering column. That's a new one to me.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
Apples to apples Chevy and GMC steering wheels are different diameter? Seems unlikely.

I did not know the came in different sizes, new news to me.

I have to correct myself...

It's not the Chevy vs. GMC steering wheels that were different in diameter. It's the 88 and up style steering wheels that were about an inch smaller in diameter than our factory steering wheels. That's what I gave my buddy last week.

Please excuse my mistake. I also edited my previous post.

Last edited:

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
I have to correct myself...

It's not the Chevy vs. GMC steering wheels that were different in diameter. It's the 88 and up style steering wheels that were about an inch smaller in diameter than our factory steering wheels. That's what I gave my buddy last week.

Please excuse my mistake. I also edited my previous post.
Ah. I see. That's makes sense. You mean going from the thinner solid rubber, classic squarebody type, to thicker, foam and rubber, later model, GMT400 style.
Yeah they're a tad smaller. I have about 3 of those.

KCKKen

Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
1985/1978
Truck Model
1500/C20
Engine Size
350/350
Hi Everyone!

Thanks for all the suggestions, I am keeping the single-headlight front pieces to convert my 85 from duals to singles, that way it'll "match" the 1980 Starfire I'm going to start on after the truck project is complete.

Someone installed the V-8 that's in it now, it originally had a V-6 in it. After I pulled off the Edelbrock carburetor I found out that it has an intake from around 1967 on it for a Holley carburetor (square-bore). Not sure about the rest of it (locked up), but I am snagging the M/T aluminum valve covers for my 1978 C20.

Since what I don't keep is going to be turned into a pickup-bed trailer I will pull as many odds and ends as I can, and make sure I post what I know I don't need on the forum for others that might need them. It has manual windows with charcoal/black door panels that aren't too bad, the dash pad is shot, but there are other items that could be reused.

I won't be needing the TH-400, and from one retired AF guy to another I'll make the transmission worth your while -- as soon as the weather breaks we'll start taking more stuff apart.

Take Care,
KS in KCK

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Any and all chevy bolt hardware is gold. Soak hardware in diesel or something to help break up any rust. I especially like there 3/8" bolts and hexagon washers lol

oldretiredafguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1988, 1988, 1991, 1983
Truck Model
GMC V-Jimmy, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC-2500 CrewCab
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350
Hi Everyone!

Thanks for all the suggestions, I am keeping the single-headlight front pieces to convert my 85 from duals to singles, that way it'll "match" the 1980 Starfire I'm going to start on after the truck project is complete.

Someone installed the V-8 that's in it now, it originally had a V-6 in it. After I pulled off the Edelbrock carburetor I found out that it has an intake from around 1967 on it for a Holley carburetor (square-bore). Not sure about the rest of it (locked up), but I am snagging the M/T aluminum valve covers for my 1978 C20.

Since what I don't keep is going to be turned into a pickup-bed trailer I will pull as many odds and ends as I can, and make sure I post what I know I don't need on the forum for others that might need them. It has manual windows with charcoal/black door panels that aren't too bad, the dash pad is shot, but there are other items that could be reused.

I won't be needing the TH-400, and from one retired AF guy to another I'll make the transmission worth your while -- as soon as the weather breaks we'll start taking more stuff apart.

Take Care,
KS in KCK
Let me know when on the TH400. Thanx!!!

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ah. I see. That's makes sense. You mean going from the thinner solid rubber, classic squarebody type, to thicker, foam and rubber, later model, GMT400 style.
Yeah they're a tad smaller. I have about 3 of those.

Doo yoo have a nice GMC horn button for those steering wheels? I’d trade ya a Chebby one and a 12pack for it!

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Doo yoo have a nice GMC horn button for those steering wheels? I’d trade ya a Chebby one and a 12pack for it!
For squarebody style wheel or GMT400 style wheel?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I have a neighbor that needs some manual doors. Tell me how much and I'll tell him. Kck is like 90 minutes from here so transport won't be a problem

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
@KCKKen just reread the first post,when you make your trailer,cut the frame way longer than what you think you need. 1st one I did I cut the frame too short than had to lengthen it. PITA for a stupid mistake of underestimating how much frame I'd need.