SAE or synthetic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Learn more about oil from the scientific side. Take all that in as well as opinions you trust and form your own opinion. Link below for the scientific side. You'll need to look up each category (viscosity, calcium, magnesium, blah blah blah). This is a good place to compare most any oil to another to look at the actual scientific numbers instead of hear say, commercials, etc. Form your own opinion and make a choice.

What I've done in the past is open multiple windows (IE, firefox, chrome, blah blah) and resize them so you can put them side by side on one screen to compare.

https://pqia.org/passenger-car-motor-oil/

K5ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Stepside
Engine Size
While surfing the net, I found this video that specifically addresses using synthetic oil in older / classic vehicles. He explains why some think it will cause leaks or damage.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I started running Mobil 1 in my 75 right after I got it, about 4 years ago and have not had any issues.

GMFORLIFE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Camper Special
Engine Size
Oil technology is the reason engines now last 200k,300k etc.
Why spend $30,$40,$50 k on a vehicle and protect it with cheap oil?
Diesel oil is a good alternative for older engines..higher zinc content.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Also, what exactly is in a "high mileage" oil that isn't in a standard/conventional oil? Or is that just a money making/marketing scheme.

"high mileage" oil can be either conventional, synthetic, or a blend. It has some extra detergents in it aimed at cleaning out deposits/sludge that is more likely to be found in higher mileage engines (but honestly not enough to clean a really dirty engine, if it's that bad use mystery oil or seafoam). But more importantly, they contain additives that are supposed to "condition" or "swell" old gaskets and/or prevent them from drying out and cracking. How much of a difference it actually makes I can't exactly say, but I know as stated before they have rules against false claims so I assume there has to be some merit behind it, however little it may be. I figure it can't hurt and run it in most of mu stuff

K5ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Stepside
Engine Size
This post has me thinking about adding ZDDP to my synthetic oil or running an oil that contains more. Mobil 1 only has 900 to 1000 PPM ZDDP. From what I've been reading, a flat tappet cam with stock valve springs needs about 1200 and if you have upgraded springs you need about 1400 PPM. Is everyone running a high ZDDP oil or using an additive?

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
This post has me thinking about adding ZDDP to my synthetic oil or running an oil that contains more. Mobil 1 only has 900 to 1000 PPM ZDDP. From what I've been reading, a flat tappet cam with stock valve springs needs about 1200 and if you have upgraded springs you need about 1400 PPM. Is everyone running a high ZDDP oil or using an additive?

i "heard" that if you have stock-ish valve springs AND still running flat lifters, then you don't "need" any zddp additives.

Just to be safe though, when i had the 350 and 305 (both with flat lifters and stock cams etc.) i used:

https://www.redlineoil.com/10w30-motor-oil

They put 1200 ppm zddp in all their "high performance" series.

To me, the cost difference between this and off the shelf oils at the autoparts store was negligible---only a few dollars. So, just to be safe i ran it whether i really needed it or not.

Last edited:

GMFORLIFE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Camper Special
Engine Size
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
Well I just watch a show on Motor Trend and there was a segment about...........OIL!!! Basically, the bottom line, and take away, was put in your vehicle what the manufacture calls for. And that I do/will.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
1992 chevy 4.3, 530k using 5w30 conventional havoline changed every 5k. The truck was still running at least a year or two after it was sold.Original tranny also.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
1992 chevy 4.3, 530k using 5w30 conventional havoline changed every 5k. The truck was still running at least a year or two after it was sold.Original tranny also.
So we're you using havoline 5w30 in the transmission too? I would say the truck lasted because of who was driving it and how it was maintained, the oil brand was irrelevant.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So we're you using havoline 5w30 in the transmission too? I would say the truck lasted because of who was driving it and how it was maintained, the oil brand was irrelevant.
Original tranny also.....

K5ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Stepside
Engine Size
Well I just watch a show on Motor Trend and there was a segment about...........OIL!!! Basically, the bottom line, and take away, was put in your vehicle what the manufacture calls for. And that I do/will.

I agree. Both my 1975 C10 factory service manual and owners' manual show the multi viscosity oil to use depending on the temperatures it will be operated in. It also states to have at least an "SE" rating. The Mobil 1 oil I'm using has a higher rating of "SN" and is the upgraded replacement for SE since it is no longer made. All the higher rated numbers are backwards compatible. I've been runninng the Mobil 1 10w30 and it is right for the temperature where I live according to the manufacturer.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128