S10 Blazer Butchery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I got this '04 Blazer from my brother @SK 99 about a year and a half ago. It's a super weirdo optioned truck that most people never knew existed. It has the ZR2 offroad option with wide stance, big flares, heavy steel skid plates, 8.5 rear diff, locker, etc. It's a 5 speed too. HOWEVER, the gall durn thing is only 2wd. It's just like a 4x4, just no front diff or transfer case. Really weird.

But anyway, it's done a fine job of getting me from point A to B, and it's done some mild truck work too. But it's boring and lifeless. It was time to take care of that.

So here it is in stock form:
You must be registered for see images attach

About to get moleste... er, I mean, customized:

First step was removing one of the skid plates. It was there to protect the transfer case that the rig never had, lol.

Then I discovered this nifty little bracket that converts a 2wd style trans to a 4x4 style crossmember.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I tried backing off the torsion key bolts to see how low the front would go. With them removed completely, that only dropped the front less than an inch. So it was time to play with the torsion keys.

Got the torsion keys unloaded to see how low it could go before it either bottomed the shocks or hit the bump stops.

I wound up flipping the keys upside down and rotating them one flat. Not shown, I also drilled new dimples into the keys, so the adjustment bolts would have somewhere to locate.
Stock position:

New position:

The suspension geometry is absolutely terrible at this ride height... but it's low how I wanted lol.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Once the front end was somewhat figured out, I focused on the rear. That was super easy. 4" cast steel blocks, some new u-bolts, relocated a brake line and removed a section of bump stop bracket on each side for clearance.

Then I removed the nerf bars and spare tire carrier. They didn't fit the look I'm after. Besides that, the nerf bars REALLY got in the way of entry/exit and the tire carrier made all ckinds of noises while driving.

The finished product:

Unfortunately, two of those tires were bad, so the right side just has a pair of 16x8" Iroc wheels on it for now. Never have I purposely and completely ruined the practicality of a vehicle like this before, but golly it sure does look cool, imho. I can't wait for pictures in the daylight.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I drove it to Springfield this morning. It actually rides WAY better than I was expecting and it corners good now too. It's actually fun to drive now.

Now I need to do some fiddling with the front bump stops, make some clearance notches in the lower a-arms (contacts steering linkage on a turn) and adjust the camber angle. It's basically set up like a race car right now, lol.

Oh and I need a new 275 tire and a 315 tire for the passenger side.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Do you think you could find an AWD case. Turn it into a Chevy Typhoon maybe?

It's a possibility. I probably won't though, since I'd also have to find a 4x4 version of the nv3500, add the front diff, worry about CV shaft angles, etc. And then it would still be a 4.3 v6.

In the very distant future, I'd like to do something along the lines of an LS3 and a 6 speed though. That'd be a hoot.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
It's a possibility. I probably won't though, since I'd also have to find a 4x4 version of the nv3500, add the front diff, worry about CV shaft angles, etc. And then it would still be a 4.3 v6.

In the very distant future, I'd like to do something along the lines of an LS3 and a 6 speed though. That'd be a hoot.
Either way, keep those ZR2 stickers and fender flares just to mess with people because most equate a ZR2 with being 4x4

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
It will probably never be a collectible but only 96 5 speed 2WD ZR2s were made. Just 8 of those were green.
Betting that 5 speed is what is bringing down those production numbers :) Although, being 2wd is kinda odd to figure out too so who knows lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod