Rust and water in cylinder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlie7985

Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I had a motor sitting outside on a chassis for a couple of months while the body was being painted. I had it covered with a tarp that was ripped and blown off during a storm ome night. I thought it was fine, but then I found water inside my intake and ine if the cylinders. Has anybody run into this before and is there a way to clean that out without pulling the intake and heads off?

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
I had a motor sitting outside on a chassis for a couple of months while the body was being painted. I had it covered with a tarp that was ripped and blown off during a storm ome night. I thought it was fine, but then I found water inside my intake and ine if the cylinders. Has anybody run into this before and is there a way to clean that out without pulling the intake and heads off?

Pull the plugs . turn it over by hand to make sure the water is out of the cylinders. remove carb or pin the throttle open so any water in the manifold can evaporate. If your not ready to run it put some oil in the cylinders to prevent any additional rust.

Charlie7985

Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I've already gotten all the water out. What about the rust that is already there? Will it hurt anything if don't get it out?

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
I've already gotten all the water out. What about the rust that is already there? Will it hurt anything if don't get it out?

for the most part the damage is done. A small amount of surface rust will rub off ( by turning the engine by hand) and blow out the exhaust (when the engine is running) for the most part, you might try compressed air and blow it out from the spark plug hole . Your other option is pull the head and do a thorough cleaning. If there is a lot of rust and pitting it will cause the ring to fail prematurely, the only fix will be a rebuilt in that case.

87_stepper

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
ZZ430
I used brake fluid on large stationary nat gas engines the brake fluid will absorb the water as well as prevent further rusting and when your ready to start provide additional lubrication.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k5inAJ