Running lights, tail lights and dash lights not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87gmc512

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I have a 87 gmc short bed and after I installed a new radio my lights aren't working. Break lights and head lights still work but when I pull the light switch the T/I fuse blows.. ive traced all the wires from the front to the back to under the dash,switch and instrument cluster everything seems fine. Also when I turn my head lights on my dome light stays on (but dim) and my floor board light stays on also. I know it's something so simple that I can't find and I would hate to pay a shop to do it for me. So PLEASE SOMEONE HELP

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Did you wire the radio direct or with a plug adapter? If you used an adapter, unplug your new radio and see if the problem goes away. Does the radio have a separate "dimmer" wire?

87gmc512

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Lol that's exactly what it was. My buddy wired the radio up and had the brown dimmer wire grounded. 3 days of tracing all the wires and it was in my face the whole time

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wrenchersllc